2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Beginning Member
Blazer2000LT is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, cutting an access hole doesn't seem too bad of a job. I can borrow a nibbler from work and was just going to use a collar on my drill for the corners so i don't go too deep there. Seems to be much easier to do this way as i won't have to mess with a bunch of rusted/brittle bolts and fittings or drop a full tank. But yeah, first things first, have to grab a fuel pressure gauge after work ($60bucks at crappy tire), and also find that power drain. I already grabbed a fuel filter and will pop that in once it stops raining. For the power drain I'm thinking there might be a short in the dash, my aux plugs don't work though the fuse is ok so I'll start there with the dmm. Richphotos did you take any pics/measurements when you cut your access panel? I found some pics from a guy that did it in a tahoe on gmtc figure it should be pretty much the same. thanks for the tip[s and support so far guys, this forum is awesome. Will post back with findings later tonight.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:09 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Blazer2000LT
Thanks guys, cutting an access hole doesn't seem too bad of a job. I can borrow a nibbler from work and was just going to use a collar on my drill for the corners so i don't go too deep there. Seems to be much easier to do this way as i won't have to mess with a bunch of rusted/brittle bolts and fittings or drop a full tank. But yeah, first things first, have to grab a fuel pressure gauge after work ($60bucks at crappy tire), and also find that power drain. I already grabbed a fuel filter and will pop that in once it stops raining. For the power drain I'm thinking there might be a short in the dash, my aux plugs don't work though the fuse is ok so I'll start there with the dmm. Richphotos did you take any pics/measurements when you cut your access panel? I found some pics from a guy that did it in a tahoe on gmtc figure it should be pretty much the same. thanks for the tip[s and support so far guys, this forum is awesome. Will post back with findings later tonight.
That is what I did pretty much, measured, twice, cut once, drill holes at each corner, I personally used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade, but anything really that wont throw a ton of sparks will be good.
I did not take measurements from front to back (they would not line up the same anyways since mine is a first gen) BUT, the hole was 1 foot square, I remember that.
finding the measurements to the center of the fuel pump is real easy though.
Here are a couple pics of the hole cut out
Name:  DSC_3343.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  135.1 KB
Name:  DSC_3344.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  141.1 KB
Name:  DSC_3345.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  119.3 KB

Last edited by richphotos; 06-07-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member

right on, thanks for the pics, that's pretty much exactly my plan, except i'm going to try to just cut three sides and bend it open. What did you do to close it back up?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

right on, thanks for the pics, that's pretty much exactly my plan, except i'm going to try to just cut three sides and bend it open. What did you do to close it back up?
You would be better off cutting all 4 sides, then going to the hardware store, getting some hinges to put on one side to act as a "trap door"
then on the other side to prevent it from going too far, get some 1.5" steel or aluminum (I used aluminum) and drill some holes, and rivet it onto the piece that you cut out.

that will act as a door stop. Then seal it all up once closed with some RTV.

Then next time you need to replace your fuel pump, pull back the carpet, cut the RTV, open the hatch and direct access to your fuel pump, then seal it back up with RTV again..

Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Beginning Member

ok, so after a bunch of messing around I've got it running again. Had the battery tested and it was toast, replaced it and cleaned up the battery cables. Still no start, but the other one was toast anyways so no biggie.Then replaced the fuel filter, was sooo badly rusted on the fuel line I ended up having to use vice grips and a load of deep creep on the collar to break it free as even the proper wrench was rounding it off. Still no luck. Removed and cleaned up the egr valve, was pretty nasty in there, but still no go. The pump must have been replaced at some time in the past as the connector was spliced on (twist and tape job, ugh) redid that and still no go. So i want out to find a place that would rent me a fuel pressure gauge, no luck there either so bought one. I hook up the gauge and as soon as the schraeder valve opens a bunch of air pisses out before the fuel. Got the gf to come out and turn the key so i could watch the gauge and wow, 60ish psi. Had her crank it and wham, started right up. Starts fine now, though the gauge showed me i have another problem. after shutting down it doesn't hold pressure very well. After about two minutes it was down to about 45psi and continuing to drop (though semi slowly). I checked for leaks and found none, leading me to believe either a) i still do need a pump b) fuel regulator is leaking into the engine or c) one(or more) of my injectors is leaking. Could anyone point me to a good test procedure to determine where my leak is?

anyways, happy so far to get it running Thanks everyone.

P.S. in poking around i see that a panel to access the fuel pump would be near impossible in my 4dr unless i didn't want back seats, the pump is under one of the seat mounts and the floor has a mean upward angle for about half of it as well as some supports that would require a smaller hole. Looks like it's a must drop tank job on this thing.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 PM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road

I can't totally answer your question, but in order to determine if the leak is in the tank or under the plenum, you have to devise a way to attach your pressure gauge to the fuel filter outlet (no leaks) and test leak down there. This way you isolate the pump from the rest of the system. Pressure shouldn't fall below 55 PSI after ten minutes. Not sure about the procedure if you find that the leak is in the plenum, but someone else will chime in I'm sure.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 PM
BF Veteran

ok, so after a bunch of messing around I've got it running again. Had the battery tested and it was toast, replaced it and cleaned up the battery cables. Still no start, but the other one was toast anyways so no biggie.Then replaced the fuel filter, was sooo badly rusted on the fuel line I ended up having to use vice grips and a load of deep creep on the collar to break it free as even the proper wrench was rounding it off. Still no luck. Removed and cleaned up the egr valve, was pretty nasty in there, but still no go. The pump must have been replaced at some time in the past as the connector was spliced on (twist and tape job, ugh) redid that and still no go. So i want out to find a place that would rent me a fuel pressure gauge, no luck there either so bought one. I hook up the gauge and as soon as the schraeder valve opens a bunch of air pisses out before the fuel. Got the gf to come out and turn the key so i could watch the gauge and wow, 60ish psi. Had her crank it and wham, started right up. Starts fine now, though the gauge showed me i have another problem. after shutting down it doesn't hold pressure very well. After about two minutes it was down to about 45psi and continuing to drop (though semi slowly). I checked for leaks and found none, leading me to believe either a) i still do need a pump b) fuel regulator is leaking into the engine or c) one(or more) of my injectors is leaking. Could anyone point me to a good test procedure to determine where my leak is?

anyways, happy so far to get it running Thanks everyone.

P.S. in poking around i see that a panel to access the fuel pump would be near impossible in my 4dr unless i didn't want back seats, the pump is under one of the seat mounts and the floor has a mean upward angle for about half of it as well as some supports that would require a smaller hole. Looks like it's a must drop tank job on this thing.
The fuel tank is not located in the back? man, second gens are weeeiiirrrdddd LOL
Glad you are getting it figured out though!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Beginning Member

<quote>The fuel tank is not located in the back? man, second gens are weeeiiirrrdddd LOL
Glad you are getting it figured out though! </quote>

it's at the back in the 2dr, sideways on the driver's side on the 4dr, the spare tire goes where the gas tank normally is.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:18 PM
BF Veteran

<quote>The fuel tank is not located in the back? man, second gens are weeeiiirrrdddd LOL
Glad you are getting it figured out though! </quote>

it's at the back in the 2dr, sideways on the driver's side on the 4dr, the spare tire goes where the gas tank normally is.
yikes, mine is a 4 door, and its in the back, if a first gen did not come with the spare tire carrier on the rear, it was mounted inside the cargo area.... like i said, second gens are weeeiiirrrdd LOL