2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer wont start, makes no noise, all lights come on

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 PM
xXplosiive is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Blazer wont start, makes no noise, all lights come on

Hello, I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer that has been having some problems. My batter went bad on me so I bought a new one and everything worked fine for a couple of days. One day when I tried to start it up, it just made a clicking noise. I banged on the starter with a wrench and then the car fired up. The same thing happened the next day except it did not start up when I banged on the starter. I took the starter out and had it checked at AutoZone and it passed two times in a row(can the solenoid be bad but starter still pass?). When putting the starter back in, I realized one of the eyelets connecting the thinner of the two wires connected to the starter had broken off. So earlier tonight I bought a new eyelet and replaced it. The car fired up the first time I tried starting it, i turned it off a few minutes later and tried starting again and it wouldn't start. My friend said he thought he smelt something burning for a couple of seconds. I just got done replacing the ignition switch, this also didn't solve the problem. All the lights and stereo turn on, car just wont start and makes no noise besides the fuel pump starting up. I also checked both wires that go to the starter as much as I could and I couldn't see any corrosion or cuts/breaks in them. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Unhappy

OK guys got an update for you. My friends dad came over last night and wanted to take the starter to AutoZone to make sure it passed, well I took it out and went with him, sure enough it passed. We brought it back, i put it in and made sure the wires and their eyelets were fastened tightly to the starter and then mounted the starter. There wasn't much corrosion at all on the battery terminals but he wanted to pour baking soda on it, but not scrub it for some reason so we did this. We also wiggled the wires in case there was any corrosion inside. He then checked the fuse relay box and said that 3 fuses in it weren't all the way in and were kind of on a slant. He said this also could have been the problem because the car needed whatever those fuses were going to in order to get through the start up process. Anyways, we plugged those back in how they were supposed to be, connected the battery and she fired up. She was also very low on coolant so we put a bunch of dex in. Within the next hour, she started right up about 6 different times. A couple hours later I was going to go to the gas station, I turn the key and nothing, no noise or anything except for all lights coming on once again. I then try again a few seconds later and it works, I let it run for a minute but turn it off to make sure I don't get stranded anywhere if I happen to turn her off, she wouldn't start back up and has not since. Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly an ignition switch problem (see link in signature)...

Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
svd85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not really sure but i had somewhat the same problem and it was my fuel relay. Mine didn't start sometimes but if i let it sit for a while it would start up. Took it to a mechanic and they said it was the fuel relay that went bad. Replayed the relay and never had a problem with it starting up again.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Swartlkk, I thought it may have been the ignition switch also so I bought a new one and replaced it, still having same problems. And svd85, where is the fuel pump relay on a 98 blazer? Ive researched online and have found someone that said on a 2002 it is behind the glove box and is the relay all the way on the left, didn't know if it was the same place as a 98, but will check now. Thanks a bunch.

**EDIT: Just wondering if I would hear the fuel pump kick on if the fuel relay were bad? I can hear it kick on when I go to start the car up. Also, if I were to unplug the fuel relay, is there any way I could test it to see if its bad? Thanks again.

Last edited by xXplosiive; 11-19-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM
svd85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not really sure xXplosiive , I would check the in the big fuse panel under the hood where most of the relays are. Only relay i have heard to be in the glove box is for the turn signals but i could be wrong.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:29 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

gonna sound stupid but i know a guy that had a similar problem after getting his truck really wet....
check your fuses for corroded connections. will cause a similar problem, and it's free to check.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:59 PM

Arite guys, I checked all fuses and relays and everything is good except i am missing one fuse that I don't know what it is for but the diagram on the relay panel cover says CHMSL.. any idea what this is? I don't think this is the problem because the car has always ran without it but I still don't want to have any fuses missing. I was thinking of pulling the batter cables and whatever two cables attach to the starter and buying new ones since it seems like the problem lies with the starter not getting any electricity.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

CHMSL is Center High Mount Stop Light.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

trace your grounds back to the frame or block and replace as neccesary- my friends tahoe wouldnt start intermitantly and it was a ground wire that was almost completly frayed through. cheap and easy check

Quick Reply: Blazer wont start, makes no noise, all lights come on