2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazers are lemons out of factory

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:36 AM
FOCK347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazers are lemons out of factory

ive been lookin at this forum for a couple of days, as you have guessed my blazer is having problems. seems this missfiring is regular occurance with blazers, chevy at that.and no one seems to have a definate fix for it. i just pulled these codes offmy 2000 blazertoday, p0135,p0171,p0174,p0336,p0339,p0510,p0452,p1415,p0 1416.and a month ago noneof them were present. so far in the last 18k miles i have changed the fuel pump 3 times,the map sensor,plugs,wires,cap,rotor,coolant temp sensor,crank position sensor,evap carbon canister by the fuel tank, fuel filter,fuel regular,all the o2 sensors , the alternator went at 55k,so did the tranny,3 hub bearings. btw the car only has 80k on it. my next attemp is checking the cats who knows maby they are clogged up maby they can be the root of my prob , if so ill hollow em out and get some mil eliminators. if any one has any suggestions , or just wants to tell me how stupid i am go for it.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazers are lemons out of factory

While I am sure that you feel that your truck was a lemon from the factory, it hardly represents the be-all-tell-all of Blazers.

The transmission problem was likely the reaction sun shell which sometimes just goes depending on the conditions that the transmission has experienced. It does not have to be beaten. With the sheer number of 4L60E transmissions still in service today and its relatively low failure rate, it is a great transmission. Sorry that you experienced one of the bad ones.

Lets start with the code descriptions:
P0135 - HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2
P0336 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit A Range/Performance
P0339 - CKP Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P0452 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input
P0510 - Closed Throttle Position Switch
P1415 - Secondary Air Injection [AIR] System Bank 1
P1416 - Secondary Air Injection [AIR] System Bank 2

What sort of diagnostics did you do to determine that you needed to replace all of the components that you have? To just get a code and replace a suspected component without truly diagnosing the problem is a sure fire way to spend money and possibly not address the true issue.

Take for instance the two CKP sensor codes. An intermittent code indicates a wiring problem 8 times out of 10. The diagnostic steps for P0336 actually state to perform the diagnostic steps for P0339 first if that code is also present. A CKP problem can cause a host of other issues as it is primarily responsible for injector timing.

When I have more time, I will attempt to get the code descriptions and diagnostic charts for each of the codes you have presented. These typically include a wiring diagram. One of the first things I would do with so many codes present is compare the wiring diagrams and see if these systems may have a common ground or other point in the schematics. If you can find a common point for a few of the codes, it gives you a good direction to start in.

Chin up! Keep at it and we will try to get you the information you need to get your truck repaired.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:24 AM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Follow his advise

Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what I was able to find searching through the DIY posts:
P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2 - similar to P0171 dealing with the B2S1 sensor.
P0452 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input

I have the trouble code descriptions for the following codes, however, the forum is giving me fits when I try to post them.
P0135 - HO2S Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0336 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit A Range/Performance
P0339 - CKP Sensor Circuit Intermittent
P1415 - Secondary Air Injection [AIR] System Bank 1
P1416 - Secondary Air Injection [AIR] System Bank 2

I will have to do some more digging to find this code as it is not in my references:
P0510 - Closed Throttle Position Switch
Are you sure that code is correct?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:27 AM

sorry typo its p0410 not p0510, .not every thing happend at once like when the fuel pump went out, it was showing only one code the map sensor, it seemed like every time id check the codes a new code would appear.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Ok. That makes more sense then.

P0410 - Secondary Air Injection System

With the plethora of secondary air injection system codes (which can cause the system lean codes BTW), I would definitely start there. It may be that your AIR pump is latched on all of the time or that the check valves have gone bad. Start with the P0410 code and work from there. I will see if I can get the other P1415/P1416 diagnostic sheets up.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:58 PM

when i bought the truck back in 03 it had 30k miles and that secondary air injetion went out 4 times , it was coverd under warranty, they told me that it kept blowing fuses and they didnt know why, i know i hve to fix that but right now im just trying to get it running, my buddy is comin by 2day with his high tech computer from work and were going to see what we can do , but i greatly appreciate your help tho.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

try to activate the air pump with that 'high tech' unit. My guess is that if the pump runs at all, it's drawing too much amperage thus blowing the max fuse. If and when you take the air pump out, it's possible to take it apart and once in awhile you may have 'mouse debris' inside of it hindering its operation. Or it may be shot completely. As Kyle said there are many reasons for this 410 code but this(pump) is the most popular failing reason, from my experience. GM also(if it is the pump) offers a kit in addition to a new pump, drawing the air it needs, from another area, further away from the pump,in a drier/warmer area, thus prolonging its lie. Keep us posted. JP

Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 PM

ok just tested the coil no spark, no power going to the coil, but there is power going to the ignition control moduel only one wire is producing power tho. tested the fuel pressure 60psi, checked the injectors they are pulsing,checked all the fuses/relays they are good,ckp has power going to it as well,so my guess is that the igniton controll moduel took a **** so im going to replace that tommarrow and go from there.

EDIT 1k just replaced the ignition control moduel now im getting power to the coil but when i try tostart it all it does is crank, i checked for spark , there is none. so my guess is the coil also went out so off to crap zone to get a coil, i will c if this works.

EDIT 2:just replaced the coil still no start, no spark, im lost

Please edit your post if no one has replied to your last post.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:34 PM

ok just replaced the ignition control moduel now im getting power to the coil but when i try tostart it all it does is crank, i checked for spark , there is none. so my guess is the coil also went out so off to crap zone to get a coil, i will c if this works.

Quick Reply: Blazers are lemons out of factory