2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

blown head gasket or lim

Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 AM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default blown head gasket or lim

I'm pretty sure my head gasket blew but figures Id ask around here anyways. The past few days I've been noticing coolant loss and my blazer started idleing a little rough while also running a little warmer than usual. Yesterday morning on my way to work it almost overheated so when I got off I checked the coolant and the radiator was bone dry. Because I didn't see any coolant on the ground I checked the oil dipstick and sure as sh** milky as hell. Because I worked a 12 hour shift I decided to baby her home "less than a 6 mile drive". Everything was great until I got into my neighborhood and the truck started sputtering and trying to die. I made it into my driveway and quickly turned it off. I then checked the dipstick again and no more milky just burnt looking oil. I didn't have a chance to pull the plugs yet to check them. I know your gonna say I was dumb to drive it but don't because I had no other option at all. Anyways, normally I would think right away its the head gaskets because its happened before with a couple other vehicles I own but on here I've read that it also could just be the lim.. my question is, how do I tell the difference? Or should I just say screw it and replace them all anyways just to be safe? Also, if I am changing out the head gaskets do any of you think I should do some engine upgrades since I have it apart? If so which ones would really be worth doing? Cams, rockers, replace the heads with performance ones? Any help would be appreciated guys, thanks!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The LIM gaskets are the most likely culprit. A compression & leak-down check should tell you whether or not you have head gasket problems.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 AM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

Leak down check? Do u mean like a visual inspection of the motor? I'm assuming around the lim to see if its leaking down the block? If it was, how noticeable would it be? I won't be able to check till tonight because I have another 12 shift ahead of me. On a different note, no matter which it is, would u recommend upgrading to performance gaskets or is that just a waste of money in your opinion. I'm asking u because u have always seemed to be knowledgeable of motor things swart.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Google FTW! --> CLICK HERE

A leak down test pressurizes the cylinder being tested. If there are leaks, you will be able to tell where to by observation (noise in exhaust--> exhaust valve open or bent, noise in intake-->intake valve open or bent, noise in cooling system-->headgasket shot, noise in oil pan-->rings shot, etc.; generalized effect-cause, other causes may apply).

If it's the LIM gaskets which is FAR more typical than head gaskets, go with the Felpro MS98002T gasket set. The LIM gaskets have a metal carrier and are the best available for the application. Pay attention to the torque values for the LIM bolts too!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Google FTW! --> CLICK HERE

A leak down test pressurizes the cylinder being tested. If there are leaks, you will be able to tell where to by observation (noise in exhaust--> exhaust valve open or bent, noise in intake-->intake valve open or bent, noise in cooling system-->headgasket shot, noise in oil pan-->rings shot, etc.; generalized effect-cause, other causes may apply).

If it's the LIM gaskets which is FAR more typical than head gaskets, go with the Felpro MS98002T gasket set. The LIM gaskets have a metal carrier and are the best available for the application. Pay attention to the torque values for the LIM bolts too!

As I monotonously chant... you said 'performance' gaskets. Well ..."FelPro PERFORMS" is all you need to know.

Not the only OEM screwup they've fixed, by far.
nuff said!