2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bose Speaker specs & replacement

Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 PM
kennjame62 is on a distinguished road
Default Bose Speaker specs & replacement

Hi all!
I hope I am putting this in the right place ( I am new, sorry). Anyway, I've got a 99 Bravada with the factory Bose, and a few quick questions that I cant seem to find;
I know that the system itself is powered by an amplifier, and sent through the head unit, but;
Are the Bose speakers themselves also amplified? (Aka small amplifier built in on speaker)
My father & I replaced the rears with Sony x plods, and you can barely hear them, whereas the front by itself is loud as can be! (Maybe I didn't hook them up right?-They old ones weren't working when I bought them).

If they are, are there any rear speaker after-market equivalents? Just so I can get the same sound from the rear as the fronts?

Also, if they are amplified, are there any 4" or 4x6" equivalents for the dash?
There is nothing wrong with the front, just wanted to upgrade,
but from the rear replacement, it seems the original Bose speakers had a built in amplifier, which now explains lack of sound-----I guess they also have a low impedance?
Next,Are the front Bose door speakers just 6" subs or normal bose 6" getting all the base sent to them by the cross-fader? Im pretty sure they are factory, but it sounds like either they are subs or the crossfader just sends all the base to them!

Oh, and one more thing!- While underneath my steering wheel column, I dsicovered what looked like an "Aux Output". It says sony, and looks original, with a yellow zip tie around it. I tried plugging it in but it didnt seem to do anything--- Is this supposed to plug in somewhere? I know my car has the car theft device, a black GPS box under the rear seats, and a black box attached to my window--which all seem to be a "system".

Thanks for any help! I really appreciate it! (Hey, atleast it's easier than the Hu replacement on my Taurus--Stupid radio bezel panel.)

Old 04-20-2012, 06:53 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

See the link below. I do not believe you will have success running aftermarket speakers with the bose amplifier. Below is a link to a thread in the audio section. The Bose speakers are 1 or 2 ohm and aftermarket speakers are 4 or 8 ohm. The amp is not going to power the speakers very well. Do a search on Bose in the audio section and you should be able to find all the information you need. You might be able to run aftermarket speakers with an adapter attached to the head unit.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...m-55299/page2/