2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

bose system

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM
richardd is on a distinguished road
Unhappy bose system

I have a 2000 blazer with the factory bose system, it has six speakers, the problem is only the door speakers work and sometimes the dash speakers work. The rears dont work at all but used to.. Here comes the weird part, when any electrical load is put on the vehicle, lights , blower motor, hitting the brake pedal, etc. the dash speakers cut out. Does this sound like a amp problem or head unit and if so can I replace the head unit with a non bose factory gm radio?? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

See attached file for BOSE wiring diagram. If you go the non bose route you could tie the speaker in/out wires together at the AMP to ellininate the AMP and not have to run new wires to each speaker. I would replace the speakers as I believe the BOSE speakers are 1 Ohm and a standard head unit would not power them up. I am not sure how to go about testing the BOSE AMP but if it is bad they can be found on EBAY. I also have a 2000 GMC Jimmy with the BOSE system but mine is working perfect at this time.

Attached Thumbnails bose system-2009-02-12_232515_untitled.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 07:09 PM

Thanks I appreciate it. I might just buy an amp off ebay and install it. I beleive I can get one for around $30

Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

don't buy the cheapest amp you can find. they burn up really fast.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Can I bypass the amp all together then buy a aftermarket head unit to power the six speakers? Would an aftermarket head unit work with the stock bose speakers also is there a way to test the speakers?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:17 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

If you have a small home stereo you could take the wires out of thr amp and plug them into the stereo and test them that way. Not sure if the bose head unit cN power speakers. You could always just take the speaker wires out of the amp and just twist them together and see if your head unit powers the speakers. If it doesnt you could just get a new head unit. Pretty sure the bose heas unit is a double din u could get a nice dvd unit

Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

You can bypass the amplifier by tying (cutting) the amplifier speaker input/output wires together. (By tying the wires together you would not have to run new wires to the speakers from a head unit) I would not run a non Bose head unit with the bose speakers. The Bose speakers are 2 Ohm and most headunits are not 2 Ohm stable and you would most likely blow the amplifier section of the head unit. I do not believe you can power the bose speakers directly from the bose head unit either without doing damage to the Bose head unit. Your options are replace the headunit and speakers or figure out what is wrong with your Bose system. You can check speakers with a multi-meter on the ohm scale and measuring the resistance. You should have some level of resitance close to the speaker rating. You can also check speakers with a 9 Volt battery. Do a google search on checking speakers with a 9 Volt Battery. I believe there is a youtube video for using a 9 volt battery to check car speakers. The Bose system does not play well with aftermarket items.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Beginning Member
live4liftin48 is on a distinguished road

Are there power and ground wires running to the amp or is it just the speaker wires??

Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

If you want to keep the bose speakers AND replace the headunit with aftermarket you can retain the bose amplifier by using this PAC SOEM-4 Universal 4-channel line output converter at Crutchfield.com

You can also use that unit to adapt the bose head unit to an aftermarket amplifier, or any combination of the two, I however would use the factory bose amp ONLY with the bose speakers because of the low impedence.

Last edited by Mike98Blazer; 11-03-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member
live4liftin48 is on a distinguished road

I already have a sony explode deck and aftermarket speakers. I just want to eliminate my amp cuz the only strong sound i get is the tweeters.

Quick Reply: bose system