2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 PM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brake Pads

I'm going to need new brake pads soon. I'm starting to notice a difference in my braking abilities, andit's been about a year and a half. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what I should get?

Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Brake Pads

I've had nothing but good luck with Bendix Ceramic pads up front and TiMetals in the back (ceramics weren't available). Both are an excellent pad.

Make sure that you atleast scuff up the surface (best to resurface them if that is an option) before replacing the pads. If replacing the rotors as well, spend the extra money on the higher quality pieces. I have had some of the cheaper crap warp and had one of them actually grenade itself. Not fun!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:58 AM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

Bought ceramic pads for front and back this weekend. Weren't too bad price-wise. I also bought 4 new shocks and the total came to about $130.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:30 AM
Beginning Member
kawidood is an unknown quantity at this point

What's considered "good" rotors? I am going to get Ceramic pads for my 97 blaze from Benndix and I want to replace the rusty rotors too. I had a shop quote me $69/each for something called Centric Rotors (black coated). How do I know if this is considered a "good" rotor? The Raybestos rotor is $47/each, so does that mean the Centric rotor is better?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful with what you buy. Many brands (Raybestos especially) have multiple quality levels. Lower quality == lower price. I generally get the middle of the road or the more expensive rotors from a particular brand. In the past, I really liked Bendix rotors, but hardly any place sells them local any more. I have had good luck with the more expensive NAPA branded rotors as well as the mid-cost and higher-cost Raybestos as well.

Holy crap! I just realized how old this thread was...

Old 10-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed NAPA (Raybestos) slotted and crossdrilled rotors (front) withCeramix pads. I have not had any problems with the rotors and pads but most expertson braking suggest that it is betternot to use those type rotors. If quality of NAPA productsis determined by the cost, those rotors are the best they have. Next time I need pads, I will replacethe slotted/crossdrilled rotors with NAPA stock replacement type rotors but I will still usedtheir Ceramix pads.I am not absdolutely sure butI think NAPA "Ceramix" are ceramic/metallic pads. I like ceramic pads because they don't put brake dust onclear plasti-coated alloy wheels. The products and methods you must use to removebrake dust can damage the clear urethanewheel coatings.

The slotted and crossdrilled rotors were designed for a specific problem that occurredwith earlyorganic/metallic brake pads.That problem was gassingwhen brakes were applied at high speeds and/or high heat. The gassing of the organic pads wouldput a gas barrier between the pad and the rotor, reducing braking effectiveness.The slots and/or holes gave the gas a place to escape, keepingthe pad in full contact with the rotor.That seemed to work pretty well but now that we have ceramic pads, gassing is not a problem anymore and slotted and/or crossdrilled rotors are not needed.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Beginning Member

The problem is knowing which "level" of product. When I called the parts store they said Bendix doesn't make rotors for the car, only pads. From what I gather on the board, Bendix Ceramic pads are good, although I don't know if they're better then the TitMet II. (Anyone know?) I don't know about the different "levels" of rotors either, I can only go by what the parts guy recommended, which may very well be the rotors they're getting a good commision on. I was hoping to hear real world experiences from people who've tried different rotors. Most people on the board say "buy a "good" rotor", but how do I know what's considered a "Good" rotor. The only good rotors I know are Brembo, and they don't make em for us. Any ideas?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:13 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

With slotted and drilledrotors you actually lose a little bit of breaking performance at normal street driving conditions. They are only needed for prolonged braking and high speed stopping like when going down the mountains or racing on aroad course. They will probably prolong pad wear some but nothing super. Basically if you arent jamming on the brakes alot during your drive or racing the guy next door you dont need them.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Beginning Member

But what about standard rotors?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

As I already stated, the higher priced Raybestos rotors are quite good. The Raymold rotors (also from Raybestos, but now called Aimco) are their bargain brand. The PG Plus (middle brand) and PG Plus made with noise dampening iron (top brand) are quite good. I typically use the PG Plus now that my local Advance Auto will not sell the Bendix rotors (which they still do make).

Quick Reply: Brake Pads