2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'97 Blazer ignition stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Beginning Member
rknight is on a distinguished road
Default '97 Blazer ignition stuck

Hi all,

Just picked up this blazer and it's in great shap save one issue. The igniton is stuck between the off position and accessory position. You can take the key in and out althought it's pretty much pointless because it will actually start without the key in it. If you turn it clockwise to the first stop, that is the accessory position. Then you can start it. When you turn it counterclockwise, it stops in this position. Can't figure out how it is stuck. I have pulled the bottom trim from the steering column but still no luck.

Any ideas? I searched and saw a few other thread on replacing the ignition switch but the symptoms weren't the same.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a bad key cylinder instead of the ignition switch.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Sounds like a bad key cylinder instead of the ignition switch.

Tried that. New cylinder made no difference.

One thought. Could it be that it doesn't think it's in Park so went let you turn it to off?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:52 PM
Beginning Member

Figured it out. There is a button on the bottom right side of the steering column just below the key cylinder that has to be depressed to turn it to off. There is a stud sticking out of the bottom steering column trim that looks like maybe it is supposed to keep the button pushed but over time wore out. So I'll probably just add soemthing to that to extend it.

Thought I'd post this here in case anybody else runs into the same issue.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

actually rknight, that button on the bottom of the column (behind the little plastic plug) is for removing the key when the battery is dead (has to do with the solenoid for the park release). not sure why this was causing your key to "stick", but maybe the cylinder is shot.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
ileanamesa is on a distinguished road

I too have a 97 Chevy blazer that the ignition seems to be stuck. At first I literally had to yank the key out because it just wouldn't do anything. Now it has its moments of not 'clicking' into the off position. I noticed that when it doesn't fully turn off i restart it and try to jam the shifter into park hard after slamming on my brakes.... that usually works half the time. but the other half of the time i have to make sure that i take the positive terminal off the battery if not my battery will drain. I thought this whole time it might be my multi-switch because my brakes don't light up either and i have had problems with the wipers working when ever they felt like it.
At this point the wipers dont ever budge neither does my brake lights .
I have learned to live with the ignition problem... but i am pretty sure that the cops wont understand my brake issues

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Beginning Member

Finally getting back to this. I had jerry rigged a stud (ok a cut off pencil) attached to the bottom shroud to keep the release button depressed. But that (unless I have something else going on) appear sto be producing a small load on the battery as the truck has gone dead a few times when I don't drive it for a few days. So I have removed that and am back to pushing the button to get the ignition to the right position when I park. I'm about to break down and take it to a Chevy dealer. One thought I had was whether this may have to do with anti-theft stuff. I only say that becasue I found an ACDelco lock cylineder online and it said you had to take it to a Chevy dealer to have it coded to the vehicle.

Thoughts?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
97JimmyRig is on a distinguished road

hello everyone. i'm new to this so i'll just tell you a little about my 97 Jimmy.
bought in 07 w/98000m. now 135000. great truck, never let me down. has a few issues though. occasional hesitation, key is stuck in ignition,doesn't want to start right away(need to turn over for sometimes more than 5 seconds,but always starts) of course i've had the typical ball joint problems too. Immediately after purchase i had a tune-up done. Cap,plugs,wires,rotor,oil, and filters. hesitation was still there, but maybe 10% of the time. 90% it will get up and go. after awile my key started to stick. it would turn on and off just fine, but my key wouldn't come out. luckly i have keyless entry,so i would just leave the key and lock it up! it would stick about half the time, so i decided (my mechanic, and i) to replace the key unit. wow! it works! i can even turn it all the way back to the accessory func!(never could from the day i got) Nevermind the fact that now i have two jimmy keys. one for the doors and one for the ign. A week later the key starts to stick again. after two weeks it is stuck. i left it in the ign all winter. Now i want it out. my mech and i removed the panel from under the wheel and found that if we push this little button by the key it comes out. yay! so we zip-tied it down and now my key comes out. now i read rknight's post and he says his battery dies. uh oh. i read a few posts that said the button or plunger could be lubricated,so im gonna try that next, maybe that will help it work better. as for the anti theft, my truck is without. if anyone can shed some light on my probs it would be much appreciated! Replaced: Spider Unit, Fuel Filter, Key Cylinder, Ball Joints.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a plan concerning your key getting stuck.

Any other topics, please create a new thread in the appropriate area.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 97JimmyRig
hello everyone. i'm new to this so i'll just tell you a little about my 97 Jimmy.
bought in 07 w/..........................the anti theft, my truck is without. if anyone can shed some light on my probs it would be much appreciated! Replaced: Spider Unit, Fuel Filter, Key Cylinder, Ball Joints.
WOW!

Quick Reply: '97 Blazer ignition stuck