2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brakes squeek even when not applied

Old 05-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road
Default brakes squeek even when not applied

Just yesterday I started to notice that whenever i turn left, and straighten my wheel back out, I get a squeek thats coming from my brakes. The squeek occurs as im straightening my wheel back out and when brakes arent even being pressed. Would this be a sign of low brake pads? I checked them about a month ago and fronts were a little under 50% and backs were at %80. Front rotors were turned about 2 months ago, and rear rotors were replaced about 6 months ago. So whats the cause? Low pads, rotor warped, sticking caliper?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:40 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Most likely the front brake pads are worn to the point of needing replacement. They have a metal pin that will contact the rotor when the pads get below a certain depth causing the squealing noise.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Starting Member
redneck44244 is on a distinguished road

if your pads are good then id guess nether one of or calipers is sticking and not retracking enough that its still just touching the rotor or it may not even be the brakes, it could possibly be a wheel bearing, cause u say it makes the noise when straightening your wheels after a turn, so a bearing might be something to look into.

Last edited by redneck44244; 05-25-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Starting Member

Just replaced the front wheel bearings a few weeks ago. It sounds just like brakes to me so im pretty positive its brake related. How can I test if a caliper is sticking? If I do replace pads, should I also do rotors? My rotors were replaced about 20k miles ago but were turned about 3k ago. There is little to no pulsation

Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Beginning Member
ojibwe_guy is on a distinguished road

Just got the Blazer I have about a month ago. The brakes squeak almost all the time, unless I'm pressing the brake pedal. I checked the pads last weekend and they're fine. The tabs aren't touching even with the pedal dwon. I'm actually hoping they'll wear out soon so I can put some quality pads on. Could be that cheap pads (in my case, anyway) were fitted.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Starting Member

Mine squeek when braking once there warmed up. When Im going straight and there not applied there fine. these are deffinantly cheap pads, i dont know what kind they are because the prev. owner put them on, but there super messy and are at/below half life and only have 10kish miles on them. If I do pads, should I do rotors to even tho theyve recently been turned?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Beginning Member
ojibwe_guy is on a distinguished road

Personally, I try and judge by the rotors wear. Is your brake pedal pulsating during stops? Do the rotors have deep grooves worn in them? I plan on using upgraded rotors once the ones on mine wear out. Typically though, I let the budget decide.

Note that if you don't turn the rotors the life of the pads will suffer significantly.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Starting Member

I dont have any pulsation and there arent any deep groves, but they are very smooth. If I get pads I think I might as well do rotors too

Old 05-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Beginning Member
burt222 is on a distinguished road

I have a similar issue and was told it could be that the rotors might be dirty, or stone debris from my (stone) driveway, could this be it????

Old 05-29-2012, 12:39 PM
bluedevil500 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by vortec bowtie
I dont have any pulsation and there arent any deep groves, but they are very smooth. If I get pads I think I might as well do rotors too
Rotors could be out of balance and create an occasional hot spot especially when they were turned. This would create a rotational squeak that is speed based. Is that what you are experiencing? Or is it a constant squeeeeeeeek?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: brakes squeek even when not applied