2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brakes sticking/clunking sound when starting cold

Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of
Default brakes sticking/clunking sound when starting cold

when i start the blazer after its been sitting for a day it seems almost hesitant and doesnt really wanna start, but once it finally turns over i get a clunking sound from the motor almost like rattling, but after that it runs fine and doesnt make any other odd sounds and it only does this after its been sitting for a night (about 10-11hrs).....now the second problem as i back out of the drive way and apply the brakes i get this real deep droaning sound comming fromt he brakes i hear it more in the rear but the front does the same thing, and once i shift into drive and start to accelerate the brakes still make this sound and it feels like they havent released fully, also once i come to the stop sign about 3 drive ways down i almost have to push the pedal through the floor to stop (going no more than 5mph) and after i finally stop and go to accelerate i can deffintly feel the rear brakes sticking and not letting go, more so i the passanger side. now i know i need pads and rotors for the front but just those 2 things wouldnt cause this would they??

Old 01-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: brakes sticking/clunking sound when starting cold

Sticking brakes can cause excessive heat which, if high enough, can cause the brake fluid to boil. This can cause high braking effort. I would say you need to find the source of your sticking brakes first, then work from there.

As far as you clunking sound, it could be cold piston slap, or a few cylinders not firing properly for some reason.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point

This is exactly what I just fixed on my 99. Your rear rotors are shot probably due to rusted or corroded slide pins in you calipers. The corroded pins are what was causing the grabbing. I replaced both rear rotors and caliper pistons. It's not very hard to do and it cost me about $130 for the calipers and the rotors. My rotors looked great on the outside but the back side of the rotor was messed up beyond repair. While your doing it, go ahead and remove and lubricate the slide pinson the front too. They work the same way as the rear and your going to already know how to get them off anyway.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:21 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

thanks for the input guys ill deffintly have to go check the rear brakes once it gets about 0 degrees lol

Old 01-13-2009, 01:09 AM

as far as the engine sound goes i dont think its piston slap because i just get a clunk as the engine turns over and after that no abnormal sounds what so ever, now for the cylinders not firing properly are there any symptoms that go along with this? i.e loss of power, rough idle or running rough? the blazer does seem to be some what sluggish atfirst but im pretty sure thats cuz its -15 without the wind chill and once i get up to normal running temp it seems just a giddy as any other day