2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bravada Axle Questions? Anyone Done it and Have Gas Mileage Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road
Default Bravada Axle Questions? Anyone Done it and Have Gas Mileage Differences?

Alright so I keep going through actuators and this is my 3rd transfer case switch for the vacuum actuator, These things are way to finicky and dont do it for me anymore. They are way to unreliable. Yesterday was my 3rd time on the beach and having something fail and having to drive like a mad man to get the truck off in 2wd. Im either doing the posi lock cable or the bravada axle. The cable is $200 before shipping and handling and im going to look into the axle and axle tube to see how much that costs also later on today. Im curious will my gas mileage be affected badly with having a live axle with the bravada axle such as a Jeep or a solid axle truck without locking hubs or should i just stick with shifting the transfer case with the push button and manually pulling the cable for my 4wd? Mainly looking for any info on how it would affect my gas mileage and which i should try to end up doing. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Do you have the 233 (3 button) or 236 (4 button auto4wd) transfer case? If you have the 236, the front driveshaft is already constantly spinning and there will be no difference with the bravada axle. There are mixed reports about it affecting the mileage on a truck with the 233 case. Some say it can make it slightly worse but there are plenty of people who've said they had no negative effects.

As an experiment, you could pull the actuator cable and clamp it in place to keep the front axle engaged and see if there's any noticeable difference that way. It's effectively the same thing as the bravada shaft. In the long run, the clamp is weaker than doing the actual mod because you'd still have the two piece axle/collar assembly. I plan on doing it when I replace my CV shafts

Here's a good link Cons of the bravada shaft and tube? - Zr2USA.com

Old 05-31-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
Do you have the 233 (3 button) or 236 (4 button auto4wd) transfer case? If you have the 236, the front driveshaft is already constantly spinning and there will be no difference with the bravada axle. There are mixed reports about it affecting the mileage on a truck with the 233 case. Some say it can make it slightly worse but there are plenty of people who've said they had no negative effects.

As an experiment, you could pull the actuator cable and clamp it in place to keep the front axle engaged and see if there's any noticeable difference that way. It's effectively the same thing as the bravada shaft. In the long run, the clamp is weaker than doing the actual mod because you'd still have the two piece axle/collar assembly. I plan on doing it when I replace my CV shafts

Here's a good link Cons of the bravada shaft and tube? - Zr2USA.com
Sorry i forgot to post that, I have Transfer Case 233 the 3 button. Im going to check out that link now, Thanks again buddy!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 AM

Ughhh, Im so torn on doing this mod or doing the posi lock cable. Im never going back to that horrible vacuum acutated crap because its so unreliable and ive been through more in these past 2 weeks than anything. I just dont want to kill my mileage or make it any worse. Some say it hasent been affected and some say a little thats fine but i dont want the chance of it being a lot

Old 06-07-2011, 04:45 PM

Any junkyard around here doesnt carry it and theres nothing around me on craigslist....This sucks!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:04 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Just pull the cable enough to engage the axle and clamp it in place to. It would show you any mileage effects there might be.

I know what you mean about the Bravadas too, I regret not getting the parts the last time I saw a bravada at the yard because I haven't seen one in months