2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Break Fluid Leak/ABS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 AM
bassson is on a distinguished road
Default Break Fluid Leak/ABS Problem

So I have a 98 Blazer 4x4.

So i had a rear caliper and master cylinder replaced about half a year ago.
After the replacement I noticed that I was slowly loosing fluid. The front of the master is going down, and the back is fine.

When the front of the master was low, i noticed that the ABS would kick in when going about 5 mph or slower. Now (even after filling master up) ABS is kicking in all the time. I pulled the fuse on ABS because its just annoying.

I checked all the lines in the front of the blazer for break fluid leaks, but couldn't find any visible ones. Could it be a piston in the caliper? (I can smell break fluid burning off after i drive for awhile)

Could the ABS just be a coincidence in timing? I'm planning on replacing the front bearings on both sides in the next month.

also, I have an oil leak coming from the back drivers side of the engine, any suggestions on where that could be leaking from?

-Cheers

Rob

Old 04-17-2013, 01:44 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

The ABS could be related, or it might not be. Have you had codes checked on your vehicle? Between everything you described, it seems like someone did a very shoddy brake job. The calipers are a possible source of the burning smell, but that's not a definite. You need to try isolating the source of the smell. As for ABS malfunctions, bad or damaged wheel speed sensors are a common occurrence.
As for the engine oil, I'd check and see if it's coming from the rear crankshaft bearing - it's a very likely culprit. Have you actually seen where it's coming from, or have you just seen it on the ground?

Old 04-17-2013, 05:37 PM
bassson is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info!

Just wondering, could the oil leak possibly from the intake manifold gasket? I replaced them about a year ago, but i used a crappy torque wrench. You think the leak could be from the back of that due to poor instillation/not torqued enough? I would much rather redo a manifold job then a rear main seal. lol.

I cant really see the back of the gasket without pulling parts, but I'm just seeing if anyone thinks that its possibly the manifold

Last edited by bassson; 04-17-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bassson
I noticed that I was slowly loosing fluid. The front of the master is going down, and the back is fine.

(I can smell break fluid burning off after i drive for awhile)

also, I have an oil leak coming from the back drivers side of the engine, any suggestions on where that could be leaking from?
Did you ever solve the problem(s)? Are you sure it is an engine oil leak?

Could be old gooey rusty brake fluid leaking from the rear brake line, which is on the drivers side. Rusts on frame rail just under the firewall. Front reservoir section is for the rear brakes.