2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brown rusty coolant ruining my vehicle

Old 08-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Starting Member
George Del Giorno is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Brown rusty coolant ruining my vehicle

i have a 95 s10 pick up and might be buying a 95 blazer. my fear is that all the issues ive had with my coolant system will be the same in the blazer.

first off, this brown coolant issue has been happening for years and i believe it started with the previous owner, never the less im flushing the system every weak to keep the coolant proper, but it continues to turn brown, clog repeatedly overheat, and ruin the system components. radiator pump heater core and thermostats have all been changed 3 times! and all the freeze plugs have rusted thru! i hardly care anymore why this is happening, im done with it.

ive heard alot of people say that all of the s10/blazers have this issue due to inability to hold up to acidity if i buy this blazer am i just goin to have the same hellish battle? cause i dont want to touch a coolant system for the rest of my life! how common is this issue should i be worried

Last edited by George Del Giorno; 08-11-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: omitted useless info
Old 08-11-2012, 02:27 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Possible causes:

Air getting in the system (bad radiator cap, blown head gasket, etc.), oil contamination from leaking oil cooler lines inside the radiator, incorrect antifreeze mixture, gunk build up in the engine block coolant passages not being completely flushed out.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

+1, properly maintained, there is nothing wrong with dexcool.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

have you ever changed the radiator itself out?
it sounds like your radiator is plugged up severely. when my radiator cracked i tore it apart to see what was going on in there. it was nasty. the whole bottom end was plugged up with brown sludge. it was like that even though i had flushed the system several times while owning it because of other work i did on the truck.

now granted i have only had over heating problems a couple of times. i was able to fix the issues. i also, however, have never heard of these trucks having that many issues.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Starting Member
George Del Giorno is on a distinguished road

I've done all my own work and been thru the whole system. Every time I clean it out it only takes days for it to turn Brown and start to clog up even after a replace the radiator and pump at the same time it lasted longer but inevitably rusted out and seized the pump the only part of the coolant system that I haven't messed with is the manifold i ts just crazy that it mucks up like that. But u don't think its a common issue, I'm hopin the previous owner just caused this issue and it not a trade mark problem