2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Buying My first, need some help....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:55 PM
USMC_KAK is on a distinguished road
Default Buying My first, need some help....

Well, I am a newbee here, and am looking to buy my first blazer and need some help to see if I am finding a good deal.
Looking at a 2001 LS 4X4 2dr, in a semi-urban area, the owner seems to know little about the truck.
The discount in the price (about $1500) seems to be due to the 4X4 service light being on…. The driver is a female, seller is her boyfriend, (this was her everyday driver and they have already replaced it with a "fuel efficiant" car uggg) and he did not know if there were any problems switching in and out of 4 wheel drive.
I have looked all over this sight regarding the service light, and am hopeful that this is just a switch problem.
What sort of troubleshooting or things should I look for when I am checking it out to make sure that I don’t have a costly problem on my hands?
Ball joints?
Transfer Case?
I have a snap on MT2500 with domestic primary & troubleshooter thru 98 software but know little about using it. Can I get codes with this old software for a 2001? Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.
I have some decent mechanical experience but know few specifics regarding this vehicle, Thank you all in advance for your help and your other posts which have given me some great info.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I've got an 01' also, good truck for the most part... There is however, a problem known notoriously to the 01, the ABS system seems to malfunction at some point or another for just about everyone I've talked to with an 01.

As far as the 4X4 on the truck you're looking at, have you driven it? Did you test the 4X4? Does it engage?...

The problem could be a loose connection in the switch, which can be fixed with a new plug or perhaps some super glue . In order to get the back of the switch you will need to take of the dash panel which is a few simple bolts and little pulling and its out. That's were I would start. If that connection seems to be good, drive the truck and try engaging/disengaging the 4x4 several times... based on those results you'll have a better idea on what it could be (ie a transfer case problem). I'd also recommend taking it to a local store and having the codes pulled if any are available, that should tel you the exact problem. Advance Auto Parts will do that for free, otherwise its like 35-75 bucks to have it done at a shop.

Good luck!

Last edited by okvortec; 04-09-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:14 PM

ty, I have not driven it yet, I hope its just a switch, if so im going to buy it (assuming there are no other major issues)

When I am test driving what spaceifics should i look/listen/feel for to try and ensure that its not a transfer case/ other major issue? obviously ill be paying attention to how the tranny reacts to driving, but this is my first 4x4.

I didn't even think about a parts store to run the codes..... ty

Old 04-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to open a disco in my 01, with a two drink minimum. The damned thing runs PERFECT, but I've got a constantly changing light show going on. SES light one day, Service 4WD the next. And just added to my light show, is the ABS light. It's a different light every day. Again, it runs perfect, and the 4WD works fine, even when the light is on. These lights are driving me crazy. I'm about to say hell with it, and break out the electrical tape!

I shoulda kept the 2000 Blazer I had before, as it was twice the vehicle this one is.....

Old 04-09-2009, 07:25 PM

When driving it in 4x2 just listen to the motor run, both while acclerating and idling. Pop the hood and listen to it, get underneath it while it's still running and listen. Pay attention for any ticking noises or fluid drips..

As far as the 4x4, come to a complete stop and put it in neutral and then hit the four low button. Assuming that the connection is good to the switch and the signal is relayed, you should feel the truck "jump" a little followed by a more aggressive idle. Don't go real fast in 4low, I'd say keep her under 10ish mph.

For 4 wheel high you don't have to be at a complete stop, you can just hit the high button and it should shift in automatically. Again listen to the engine. The transmission should shift smoothly. Really there's not a whole lot you can do with it unless you go to a shop and have it inspected, which I'd recommend, escpeciallly on a 4x4.

On a side note, you can check the all fluids, if they're in good shape you can generally tell the truck was kept up pretty good, if they're not then that might be something to consider about the truck's past up-keep!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Thanx guys, both give me a little more confidence. Apparently they have most of the paperwork regarding service, and they are the only owners. It all makes me feel that this may be a good deal.

I will test the 4hi and 4lo as you said, I am trying to find a service shop that will check it out for me for a decent price. Thing is I am traveling far away from where I am, otherwise I would bring it to "my guy".

I hate to say it since I am a very honest guy, but I would like to make sure that it is not something major........ then try to "talk it up" (the service light) as being something more, in order to knock another $250 off the asking price. I am iraq vet, current student and I could really use a good deal on this truck.

any other advise is welcome by all........

Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having it checked out, thats the smart thing to do.. A vehicle is a big investment! Good luck with it all, lets us know how it turns out!

Old 04-11-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanx guys, I am pretty bummed, but we had to dump $1400 into my 99 monte carlo ; ( now this thing is mint, but I am going to need to sell it before I can pick up a blazer (since I need a 4x4) ..... well i guess it just buys me more time to find that "great" deal I have been looking for!