2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

buzzing 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:58 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default buzzing 4x4

SO, this has happened only twice since i've ahd the blazer and the two times havent been close together.. I push the 4hi button, 4x4 engages and I give it gas.... front hubs make a buzzing sound and then lock in. Almost like the "teeth" are not interlocking, but sitting down on top of eachother and as the cv shafts turn it makes a buzzing sound (like the "teeth" grinding on eachother) and then I guess the "teeth" interlock and it engages...lol that was probably confusing..... anywho, is it possible that this is an early warning sign my hubs may be going bad or could this just be something that can happen under the right conditions? BTW... both times I was already off the pavement and the front suspension was flexed pretty good when I engaged it. (im not stupid, I just thought it was a little less muddy than it was...lol so I left it in 2wd.. the trail wasnt muddy at all till I got to this part, then it was just enough to make my rear tires spin... nuttin thick)Never had a problem with the suspension sitting normal or slightly flexed.....
if they are going bad, is it possible to find a set of manual hubs to fit this truck... I never have been a big fan of auto hubs...

Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: buzzing 4x4

Your description does sound like the axles are not fully engaging to the diff.
Manual hubs......nope, not on this style.
On yours, the only way you could have manual engagement would be something like Hanr3 posted about installing a cable, with a handle control inside the truck.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:17 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default RE: buzzing 4x4

well poopy.... do you think it could have something to do with the steep angles my front end was at? its only done it 2 times when it was in a bind.... never had any problem with it when it wasnt in a bind.... it only made the noise for like 1 second, if that...