2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Buzzing from Radio and odometer flicker

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:31 PM
boldjava is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buzzing from Radio and odometer flicker

Hi all!

I've had an annoying problem (in a string of annoying issues) lately. The radio is making a faint buzzing sound which increases in pitch as I accelerate. And at the same time the odometer, drive selection and radio controls are slightly flickering.

I had the truck in for service (Transfer module replacement, Multi-function switch i.e. turn signal replaced and brakes - again!). It didn't start happening right after, but when I took it back to the dealer to have them check the brakes again (suspect master cylinder is going), I noticed it happening. But, when I went out with the service tech, it didn't happen. Now it has become pretty consistent since.

Any thoughts on what would be causing this? I replaced the battery a few months ago - no issues there. Alternator? Battery cables? or???

Thanks in advance.

2000 Chevy Blazer ZR2
74,000 KM

Old 03-09-2008, 02:55 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Buzzing from Radio and odometer flicker

I also have a flicker in my odometer, PRND321, and radio display. I also have a whining noise that's RPM-based. I will be replacing my alternator as soon as I'm done with my rear axle service and will let you know if it fixes the flicker problem.

What does your voltmeter say? Does it look similar to the video in this thread?

Old 03-09-2008, 04:43 PM
boldjava is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Buzzing from Radio and odometer flicker

I couldn't find the video in the thread you linked to.

However, I do have an update. My partner had the truck out picking up pizza last night. The truck died while pulling into the parking lot. I had to run down in the car since the truck was DOA.

After popping the hood and did the first thing that comes naturally when you lose juice - I giggled the battery cables.Sure enough - I had a loose one. Lights came back on and way we went. I pulled both cables off this morning, cleaned the contacts with a battery brush, reattached the cablesand presto - the whine and flicker is also gone!

I was out this afternoon(after digging out of our 23 inch snowfall) and sure enough, no reoccurance.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next week, but I guess it could have been that I didn't reseat the positive cable properly when I changed battery a couple months ago and it built up enough corrosionto cause the whining and then the complete failure.

I'll keep you posted.

Dale.

---------------------------------------------

2000 Chevy Blazer ZR2

Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Beginning Member
davesipes is on a distinguished road
Default Annoying problems

Hi,
Just read this post about the flickering lights. I will check out my cables and battery connections on my 03 tonight. Just wondering if that really was your issue or if you found another cause. The whine is occurring for me even when the radio is off and the odometer/gear selection flicker is just plain gettin on my nerves. Thanks,

Checked my battery connections and found some minor corrosion. Also neither was really all that tight. I noticed not a lot of contact area on connectors or battery terminals. Cleaned everything and reattached very snugly. Problem solved. No flicker of the odometer, gear selector, compass, and no whine. Amazing. I have found so much help with problems in this forum. Thanks all.

Regards,
Dave

2003 4Dr/4WD Blazer 4.3

Last edited by davesipes; 07-16-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: updated