2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What company can make a custom oversize distributor gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road
Default What company can make a custom oversize distributor gear?

anyone know who can make a custom oversize distributor gear? like if you give them the specs, will they make it for you? im hoping to get rid of some of the excess slack between the camshaft gear and the distriubtor gear...let me know thanks

Old 08-29-2009, 02:27 AM
Default Anyone have a Helm manual for a 95 CPI Vortec "W" engine?

if you have a Helm Manual for the 1995 model, i was looking for the camshaft gear to distributor gear play or tolerence spec. thanks so much

Old 08-29-2009, 03:43 AM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

You cant run an Oversize Distributor shaft gear!,,If yours is wore out replace it!! advance sells them for 35 bucks or opt to buy the whole New distributor (not reman ) for 96 bucks and im sure other places sell them cheaper.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No such value exists in any of the reference materials I have ever had the pleasure of pouring through. The only thing that I have ever seen was distributor play which should be limited to 0.010" to 0.020" with the composite distributor bodies. Shims are available to bring this into spec.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM

i already did replace it with a brand new A/C Delco gear, washer, tang washer, and roll pin. but the slack is still there. i thought that it stil maybe there since the old gear i pulled out wasn't that bad to begin with...

so the new distributors come with a new oversize gear? because if its a standard gear size i think i still will have the slack there....

Old 08-29-2009, 12:00 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

i dont think its an oversize issue in the gear, its the distributor itself..and i highly doubt its your cam gear worn out either..the dist gear is alot softer material than the cam gear..I would replace the distributor which comes with a new cam sensor too..

Old 08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as an oversized gear. How much play are you seeing? Most gear drives have backlash.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:07 PM

wow, right now im getting 1/32" inch of play measured at the edge of the distributor reluctor (thats with the rotor button off) and i have a brand new A/C Delco gear and washer in it. and regardless if i check the play with the shaft all the way down or pull the shaft all the way up, the slack it is the same. so should i still add a shim? whats the play spec up and down?

by the way i have a plastic distributor...

Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Up & down is what I listed. That 1/32" sounds absolutely normal for the backlash measurement.

BTW, I am merging your two threads on the subject since they cover the same underlying question.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:13 PM

right now i am seeing 1/32" inch of play measured at the end of the rotor reluctor and thats with a brand new A/C Delco gear, washer, tang washer, and roll pin.

i have tried putting in a new cam sensor to, but no change in getting rid of the misfire.

Quick Reply: What company can make a custom oversize distributor gear?