2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Blazer troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Beginning Member
Kaput is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Blazer troubles

I have a 95 Blazer that was throwing the misfire code. Turns out it was a blown head gasket. Before I got to the cause I had replaced the wires, plugs, distributor cap, rotor button, ignition control module and coil. I then had the heads shaved, timing chain, gaskets and seals changed while the motor was out. Now the darn thing will not start. The timing is set correctly as verified by a secondary mechanic. I am told it is only getting spark to one of the plugs. Now the battery will not hold a charge! I am tired of throwing money at this thing. I have been lurking here to find answers but finally decided to join and just ask directly. Any insight would be appreciated.

ETA: The only things left are crankshaft sensor, engine not grounded correctly, something is grounding out, or the timing really isn't set correctly. Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but here goes, how my electrical connectors are plugged into the coil? My coil is set up for 2 connectors but only has 1 plugged in. Was told by 2 people should only be one and had 2 other people tell there should be 2 plugged in. So which is it?

Last edited by Kaput; 01-05-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Beginning Member

Isn't there someone on here that can help a brother out?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:14 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

It has been awhile since I had my 95, but I think that there should be two connectors at the coil. Also, I do not think the 95 has a crankshaft sensor.

All I can offer is to check to ensure that there are no broken or bent contacts in any of the connectors. Spark to only one plug? Is it the same plug or does it change? Gotta look around and find that other connector for the coil.

Anyone with a 95 out there that could take a picuture and post it?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

My 95 only has 1 coil connection. Mine has the infamous OBD 1.5. Is yours OBD 1, 1.5, or 2?

Old 01-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member

I have the OBD 1.5. My blazer has a 2 connection coil on it now but I went yesterday and pick up the the one connection coil that it is supposed to have. I don't know if this is part of my problem or not because it ran fine with the 2 connection coil. I'm going to try a couple of things today and if they don't work, I am getting a another distributor.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Starting Member

I got 3 bad distributors in a row from Advance Auto for my mustang. They would last about a week each. The original one lasted around 350,000 miles lol. Maybe try a GM one depending on where you got the one you did.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, I just back from working on this god forsaken thing. The msd coil that's on it is good. It wants to start but still isn't. It's getting good fire to plugs 1,2,3, and 4 has a very weak spark. Plugs 5 and 6 no fire. The ground wires that are on the back of the block on the right side were melted together WHEN the engine was first pulled out. The wires were separated and taped up before putting the engine back in. Could one of the wires have been borrowing a ground from the others? I wonder if putting them back together like they were would make a difference? Gonna try that tomorrow and if that doesn't work, off to another mechanic she goes. Anyone have any ideas please let me know.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Beginning Member

I've run out of ideas. As soon as the weather clears, off to another mechanic she goes.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 AM
Beginning Member

The mechanic is backed up due to weather and other issues, so I am still fooling with this thing. My theory is, if 2 plugs aren't getting spark and 1 plug is getting a weak spark then my problem is in either the distributor or cap? These will be the next items swapped out. Someone please let me know if I'm on the right track or still shotgun trouble shooting here.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Starting Member

I would think it would be the distributor if the cap/rotor look good. Like I said I got 3 bad distributors in a row.

Quick Reply: 95 Blazer troubles