2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C Leaking out low service port

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 06:42 PM
RedBlezer is on a distinguished road
Default A/C Leaking out low service port

Bought my blazer with 185k on it, a/c never worked. Summers comjng up so I just tried to charge it, and aside from the compressor kicking on and eating up the pressure and then dying, it wants to leak all the a/c pressure out of the low pressure service port. As soon as I pull the hose off it leaks.
Is this a common issue? Indicitive of anything? If I leave the hose attachment and a/c recharge can on it works fine. Would leave it all hooked up but the can would probably explode w all that heat.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:04 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

It has a shrader valve in it just like your tire valve stem has. They change out and your auto parts store should have them.

Last edited by odat; 03-09-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:11 PM

Ok sweet. Ill buy a few more ac cans and swap that out

Old 05-31-2019, 05:22 PM

Replaced shrader for $8. Recharged and works no problem. Took 2 cans of redtek

Old 05-31-2019, 10:03 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

If you dropped the charge to change the schrader core I hope you put a vacuum pump on the system to remove air and moisture before recharging.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by G0LFADD1CT
If you dropped the charge to change the schrader core I hope you put a vacuum pump on the system to remove air and moisture before recharging.
What would the consequences be if I didn’t?

Old 05-31-2019, 10:50 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough
Old 06-01-2019, 01:27 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedBlezer
What would the consequences be if I didn’t?
Air gets trapped at the top of the condenser coil causing the head pressure to climb, which lowers the cooling capacity. Moisture will mix with the oil and eventually start forming acid which will damage a lot of internal parts (especially that expensive compressor).

Old 06-01-2019, 02:10 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Nobody is going to agree with me But ---- If you had any pressure at all left in the system and if you didn't loly gag around changing the valve out you should be fine ---- The leftover vapors will actually still work its way out and slow any air contamination --- There is more air in a home fill kit's hose than you let get in changing the valve ---- changing out major parts as compressors or having the system wide open is when problems begin without a vacuum pull ....

Old 06-02-2019, 09:22 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by odat
Nobody is going to agree with me But ---- If you had any pressure at all left in the system and if you didn't loly gag around changing the valve out you should be fine ---- The leftover vapors will actually still work its way out and slow any air contamination --- There is more air in a home fill kit's hose than you let get in changing the valve ---- changing out major parts as compressors or having the system wide open is when problems begin without a vacuum pull ....
I agree with you. In fact, I was about to say the same thing. The chances of any moisture entering through the service valve in the one minute the core was out are extremely slim.

Quick Reply: A/C Leaking out low service port