2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C Not Blowing Hard

Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Starting Member
ez with the hardware is on a distinguished road
Default A/C Not Blowing Hard

I got a 95' Blazer 4.3L and the AC hardly blows. The air is cold, clutch works, replaced the resistor, fuse good, blower motor runs too. I read on the forums that the AC has a high speed blower relay. I have no idea where it's located. I see three relays on the firewall and two in the glove box. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The blower should have 4 speeds, can you tell by moving the switch which speeds you have? Not certain, but I believe the high speed blower relay is in the glove box. You can figure out which relay it is by the wire colors. At the relay, the wire colors should be orange, black, purple, dark blue and possibly a red wire.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

In the 95s there is not 4 speeds, but a dial to adjust the speed. Mine also does not blow very hard, but it's not a constant blow. More of an engine speed/ engine load issue causing the problem.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Starting Member

Like Thogert said, it has a dial to select the air speed. When I turn the dial, the air comes out a little harder w/ each setting speed, but still it barley blows on each. When I turn the AC on and turn the air on high, it takes about 5 sec for the blower motor to kick on.

What color wire is the high speed blower relay?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Manual HVAC has 4 speeds on the blower switch, manual control of where the air flow discharges and a dial with red & blue to adjust the temperature. Automatic climate control uses a dial to infinitely adjust blower speed, another dial has the temperature in degrees, and one that controls air discharge. By your description, you have automatic climate control, not manual, correct?

Old 07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Starting Member

It's manual like this one

Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member
burnitup is on a distinguished road

Im unsure but mine also blows much weaker from time to time un sure of why i havent really been to conceared yet but im not sure if the flaps are vacum or not maybe line has a hole and flap isnt opening all of the way up or if electric maybe something is jaming inside of there? idk just guessing

Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Yes, that is manual HVAC and the blower switch should have 3 "clicks", (actually called detents) that you can feel when you move the blower switch to select a speed. There should be 4 speeds total: The blower will not completely shut off unless the mode switch is in the OFF position, (or the ignition is in the OFF position). If you can not feel the detents, the switch is bad which may be causing problem. You can check the electrical function of the switch using a volt meter at the blower resistor connector as follows:

Unplug the resistor and check voltage on each terminal in the vehicle harness connector with the ignition in the RUN position and the mode switch in the HEAT position.

Brown wire: Battery voltage in low fan switch position.
Tan wire: Battery voltage in medium 1 fan switch position.
Light blue wire: Battery voltage in medium 2 fan switch position.
Orange wire: Battery voltage in high fan switch position.
Dark blue wire: Goes through the high blower relay and supplies voltage to the blower motor for all speeds except high. Voltage varies depending on selected blower speed.

At the high blower relay:
Orange wire: Battery voltage with ignition in RUN position, mode switch in any position except OFF, and blower switch in the high position.
Black wire: Less than 5 ohms resistance to ground at all times.
Purple wire: Voltage varies depending on blower speed selected.
Red wire: Battery voltage at all times.
Dark blue wire: Voltage varies depending on selected blower speed.

Now that I think about it, the high blower relay is mounted to the firewall under the hood.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Hmm, mine has no click to it, just a smooth roll, so I may try this. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Mine used to have the clicks but one day i moved it quickly and i heard something come apart behind the dial and now its just a smooth roll but the speed still changes when the notch moves past the different size circles.

But mine also doesnt blow very hard, it will blow harder when i have the cold air selected but not very hard with hot air. My 2000 project blazer blows pretty hard at all temperatures. i just chocked it up to my air filter by the window is clogged.