2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Call me a hack but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:32 AM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

i wanna see this lol

Old 09-20-2009, 11:39 AM
taterbugbrown is on a distinguished road

If your going to do it, cut a good square hole and cut a panel from a donor truck from the same area that is bigger than your access hole. Use that as your cover.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:59 AM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by taterbugbrown
If your going to do it, cut a good square hole and cut a panel from a donor truck from the same area that is bigger than your access hole. Use that as your cover.
At least do that

Old 09-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Starting Member
blazeitupdrgonzo is on a distinguished road

Hahaha Please put up pics

Old 09-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Beginning Member
JSBlenz9498 is on a distinguished road

i just picked the truck up to have for my winter ride. I got it for $400 so i figure, what the hell? Why not? And ive been doing research about replacing it and i swear every other person is like, "what a pain in the ***," or "good luck with that" and then i read about them doing it like 3 or 4 times cuz the pump they got was junk. So im looking at it as if i have nothing to lose, which i dont. And that includes cutting the tank which someone said earlier because im not using a hack saw to cut it, im going to use a die grinder. Will post pics

Old 09-20-2009, 04:01 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JSBlenz9498
i just picked the truck up to have for my winter ride. I got it for $400 so i figure, what the hell? Why not? And ive been doing research about replacing it and i swear every other person is like, "what a pain in the ***," or "good luck with that" and then i read about them doing it like 3 or 4 times cuz the pump they got was junk. So im looking at it as if i have nothing to lose, which i dont. And that includes cutting the tank which someone said earlier because im not using a hack saw to cut it, im going to use a die grinder. Will post pics
Sounds like a plan!

Old 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If you buy a pump off ebay for $80 shipped, plan on doing it again in short order. If you spend the bucks and get an AC Delco/Delphi pump you'll be good to go for a number of years.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

ive done it. its way easier and way safer in my opinion. obviously be carefull you dont cut into the tank lol... and make sure your tank aint leaking in anyway too! i wouldnt do it to anything really nice. i used to do it to all my offroad trucks. instead of having to drain the gas, lower the tank, hope you dont break any lines or gas tank straps. and then put it all back together, fill it up and end up having a bad sending unit you can just pull it right out the top of the floor. some foregn cars actually come with a access panel in the trunk

i had a ford ranger that needed a fuel pump and they actually took the bed off cause its easier then dropping the tank.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:29 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

also i used a sawzall... grinder throws way to much sparks for that area lol.

heres a pic where you can see the access hole i cut. as you can tell the truck was crap. the whole body was splitting in half

Last edited by abig84; 09-20-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member
republic is on a distinguished road

Hey there JS you've got me thinking. I am seriously considering doing this myself. I would not be suprised if somewhere on the 'net a fellow could find some dimensions that would put him pretty close to the pump and limit the size of the access panel. What I'm picturing is trying to zero in on the pump and cutting a fairly small, round hole with aviation snips. Done a lot of snipping but not through corrugated bed metal so that's just plan 'A'.

I did some googling and found this: http://www.wildsnow.com/856/silverad...-pump-tonneau/

Regards.

Last edited by republic; 09-20-2009 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Call me a hack but...