2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Call me a hack but...

Old 09-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Beginning Member
JSBlenz9498 is on a distinguished road

Its not a big deal as many of the people here are making it out to be... its not going to affect the driveability of my truck nor will it affect its cosmetics. I just want to narrow down the spot right above the pump so i dont make the wrong cut.

Laying on my back, reaching up on top of the tank i think i can feel the sending unit located at the end of the tank towards the back of the truck, or is that the fuel pump? If its not the fuel pump, where in relation to the sending unit is the fuel pump located?

This will be probably a slow going little project as im not in any rush as of right now to get this completed. But here are a couple shots of a little headway i made today. Took about 20 minutes to get to this point.

Oh and the last one is of my baby. Shes going into hibernation this winter and will be recieving special treatment.

Attached Thumbnails Call me a hack but...-my-cars-001.jpg   Call me a hack but...-my-cars-002.jpg   Call me a hack but...-my-cars-005.jpg  
Old 09-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
republic is on a distinguished road

Perhaps you can post some measurements once you get it opened.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:22 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

You have the fuel lines and wiring very close to the floor. I suppose it is possible to do but risky.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 AM
strange is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JSBlenz9498
I'm cutting a hole in my floor above the gas tank. Im wondering if anyone has done this to replace a fuel pump before. If so, i was wondering where exactly the hole should be so i can access the pump.
Just curious but where are you located so I can stay far enough away but close enough to get video of your truck blowing up!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:51 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

lol everyone is making such a big deal out of this. its no different then welding on your rear axle or cutting and notching the frame back there. the gas tank is more then a inch below the floor. you have to be a total tard to cut into it.

thats why i used a sawzall. if anything that blade will just bounce off the tank.

though i did have a friend drill into his tank on a 82 camaro trying to install a amp

Old 09-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
lol everyone is making such a big deal out of this. its no different then welding on your rear axle or cutting and notching the frame back there. the gas tank is more then a inch below the floor. you have to be a total tard to cut into it.

thats why i used a sawzall. if anything that blade will just bounce off the tank.

though i did have a friend drill into his tank on a 82 camaro trying to install a amp
Ha! had the same thing happen to a friend on a jetta drilling a hole for a ground. What a fool

But seriously, like abig said you gotta be a total tard to cut into the tank. I have done this before just not a blazer. The only reason why i even asked if anyone had done it before was to see exactly where i needed to make the cut. Still a slow going process nonetheless... will keep everyone posted

Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Let us know how well the sawsall bounces off the fuel lines and wiring.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member
Chooch is on a distinguished road

Yo bro drop the tank out bro, I'm telling you man

Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JSBlenz9498
The only reason why i even asked if anyone had done it before was to see exactly where i needed to make the cut. Still a slow going process nonetheless... will keep everyone posted
i kinda quesstimated cause my truck was a turd. on the suburban you got like 3inches between the floor and tank. so i drilled into the floor with a small bit at where i expected one of the corners to be at, left the bit through the floor and you can kinda get a idea where your at and measure from there.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Beginning Member

i kinda quesstimated cause my truck was a turd. on the suburban you got like 3inches between the floor and tank. so i drilled into the floor with a small bit at where i expected one of the corners to be at, left the bit through the floor and you can kinda get a idea where your at and measure from there.
I can pretty much see the sending unit, im pretty sure thats what it is anyway. Do you know how close to the sending unit it is?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Call me a hack but...