2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Call me a hack but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

but the 1st gen's are waaaaay easier to do than the 2nd gen's, since the tank is under the cargo area, and the floor is pretty flat. no screwy curved floor pan & seat belt re-enforced area to deal with.

even though we both thought this was a dumb idea originally, would you be doing it to the truck if you weren't just using it for a Winter beater, or had to haul around your family in it? not me.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:19 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old skool luvr

even though we both thought this was a dumb idea originally, would you be doing it to the truck if you weren't just using it for a Winter beater, or had to haul around your family in it? not me.
that seems to be usually the people who do this its always just a beater. now if someone wanted to do this to a 07 or something to save a few bucks then i may question it. heck on my trucks. the gas tank straps probably cost more then the truck

Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yeah i definitely wouldn't even think about doing this on my 99. Unless it was a common thing that needed replacement often but it doesnt.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:29 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by abig84
that seems to be usually the people who do this its always just a beater. now if someone wanted to do this to a 07 or something to save a few bucks then i may question it. heck on my trucks. the gas tank straps probably cost more then the truck
i wasn't getting @ any specific year, as i wouldn't even do that in my '84 Blazer-even if i was the only one to ever drive in it. but that's just me.

and yeah, i'd bring the special white jacket for them to put on while you question their sanity.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 PM
BF Guru

been a month now, does anyone know what happened with JSBlenz9498 and his fix?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Beginning Member
JSBlenz9498 is on a distinguished road

It went very well... i have been driving it for about a month now with no problems, other than a starter (already replaced) and a motor mount that just started getting pretty bad, she runs mint.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member
AlaskanK5 is on a distinguished road

They do that to a lot of the "Bush Buggies" or hunting rigs up here. The reason is they also carry a extra fuel pump. So if yours goes out in the middle of no where its an easy swap. But the ones ive seen are nice looking little doors with seals. not a hack job cuty and bend slam back down deal hah

Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AlaskanK5
They do that to a lot of the "Bush Buggies" or hunting rigs up here. The reason is they also carry a extra fuel pump. So if yours goes out in the middle of no where its an easy swap. But the ones ive seen are nice looking little doors with seals. not a hack job cuty and bend slam back down deal hah
on my 85 i keep a inline fuel pump and extra hose in my tool box. that thing has gotten my fullsize home before. you just run it to the battery and splice into the fuel lines and away you go.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Beginning Member
stephensh is on a distinguished road

For the sake of the flip side. I posted earlier in the thread as to my thoughts on the ease of replacing the pump with the tank down and now I have the experience to talk of. I appreciate the info I was able to pull from the members who posted about the front vent. Had I not read up on it, I probably would have had a trip to the dealer.

I planned the repair a couple of weeks ago and I sprayed out the tank strap bolt and nut with Seafoam. The entire job took 2 hours and more than likely would have been less if I didn't inhale gas fumes that saturated the cardboard bed I put under my truck. I released the gas and pressure though still one of the rear lines held gas.

All in all a drop and swap is straight forward. I used a hook tool which I had from my autoglass days to get under the filler and vent hose to loosen them up. I removed the spare tire, removed the 3 lines at the pump, removed the filler hose clamp at the connection point to the metal gas fill tube, the vent hose clamp at the tank. I pulled the bolt at the rear strap, loosened the front strap to half the bolt shaft length which set the rear of the tank down to allow easier access for removal of the wiring harness. I setup a cardboard box two inches below the rear of the tank and removed the front nut. I gently brought the tank towards the rear a couple of inches which was enough so I could reach up on top and pull the small vent clamp (with fingers) and remove the small vent hose. The Delphi pump came with an updated wiring harness and I recommend paying attention to the practice of staggering the connections to a minimum of 1.5" to enable the conduit to fit back over the splice connectors.

Although I appreciate the innovative approach to hacking it, I recommend going for a full drop and swap as the job is done and their is no need to find a means to seem a patch to finish it out. Ramps in the rear enabled plenty of space.

Last edited by stephensh; 09-12-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:50 PM
blazatronxprime is on a distinguished road

I have a 1st gen 93, and I'm too short and fat to reach the bolts on the strap, also my tank is full when it went down on me. I have like 16 gallons in there. 8X16=128lbs sitting above you, no thanks. and I've rather not pump the fuel out either. So I cut a patch, I'm just going to get a ply board, cut a piece to size, and screw it onto a bigger piece cut to fit. Then I'm going to put foam on the bottom side and just lay it over top, get bigger bolts for the tie downs in the back.

Fuel pumps are inconsistent, whether be name brand or store brand, same with cars for that matter. I've had 5 chevy's 3 camaros, a delta 88, and this chevy blazer. and the blazer is the only thing that's run for more than about 3 months. lol I technically have the evidence to support my idea that chevy's are garbage, but I know that all companies make vehicles with bugs and quirks.

It may seem like more work now, but if I have issues in the future, I simply remove the board, replace the pump/assembly/wire etc. it'll take me 20 minutes then, instead of another 2 hours to drop the tank switch the lines and mount it back up, specially if the tank is full. lol

Also, I know this is a dead thread, but I figured I'd follow the rules and find a thread about the same thing, and post there. lol

Quick Reply: Call me a hack but...