2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

camshaft sensor and throttle position sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 AM
russ1609 is on a distinguished road
Default camshaft sensor and throttle position sensor.

I have a 2001 Blazer. I recently had water in my oil. I changed the intake manifold gasket and now the water in my oil problem is gone. Now my check engine light is on. The codes are camshaft position sensor and the throttle position sensor. These didn't code before fixing the intake gasket. I was wondering what would cause both sensors to code?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What DTC's are you retrieving and what order are they in? If P1345 is one of them, the distributor didn't get put back in correctly. Are the TPS and CMP sensors plugged in tightly?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 PM

thank you... I am not sure exactly what the DTC's were and what order they were in. I was leaning towards the distributor being a tooth off. Basically the Blazer runs perfect with the exception of the periodic stalls that happens while idling and there is a jerk in when the vehicle shifts at about 50 MPH. I had to tow it from GA to NC so I removed the drive shaft and I put back in two quarts of trans fluid. I have cheked it and the fluid looks good. Could the jerking be caused by a slight mistiming with the distributor.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM

the DTC's are p0122 and p0341 in that order. I've had the codes cleared and those are the ones that came back.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:06 PM

ok I got an update if anyone is still looking into this. I checked the distributor cap and apparently I forgot to plug in something on the back side of it. I plugged it in and unplugged the battery but the codes still didn't clear. I took it up to autozone and there were about 7 more codes on top of the camshaft and throttle positioning centers. I asked autozone to clear it but he gave me an attitude. I am going to take it up to a mechanic friend and have him clear it. I will post on what happens.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The plug on the back of the distributor is the Camshaft Position sensor, (CMP). Reconnecting it will remove the DTC from the "hard fault" memory so it won't turn the SES light on, (unless it's bad). The CMP DTC will remain in the history file until a certain drive pattern with no faults has ocurred. Clearing the DTC's, (resetting the PCM) will remove all DTC's from all memory files.

Disconnecting the battery will not clear any DTC's that are in any of the memory files, no matter how long you wait before reconnecting it. It will however, turn the SES light off if there are no hard faults present. The auto parts stores are instructed by their corporate offices not to reset memories, only retrieve DTC's.

After your friend resets the PCM, perform the General Motors Driving Cycle If the SES light stays off, you're done.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 PM

I plugged in the camshaft sensor and had the codes cleared. The engine light stayed off until I started it up again. I was drving and pushed the pedal down and it would not shift into the passing gear. I am thinking I may not have hooked up the throttle possitioning sensor up correctly. I am going to see if I can find the location of it. Other than that I have no idea. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by russ1609
...The engine light stayed off until I started it up again...
What code was set? That will tell you where to start looking for the problem.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Ok got an update... still having the passing gear problems but this morning the truck wouldn't start. It would crank and then acted like it was out of gas. Fuel pump is working perfectly. I left the key on and the battery ran dead. I jumped it and it started up and ran rough. It wouldn't idle steady it was going up and down. It finally leveled out and the service engine light turned off. I drove it down the road and back and it seemed fine. I then let it rest for 10 mins. I started it up and the light was on agian and it was idling rough. It leveled out quickly and so I drove off. Still it will not go into passing gear. It seamed to not want to shift smoothly either. Everytime it would change gears it felt like there was no power. I stoped by autozone to check the codes. They are first p0101 which is Mass air flow sensor and then P1635 which is 5 volt reference volyage circuit condition short to ground. I am not sure what the second one is and I am wondering what would cuase the first one. Again none of this came up before I changed the intake manifold gasket.