2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

can this blazer be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Swiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can this blazer be fixed?

Its probably a little hard to see but the unibody is bent right at the rear doors, is that repairable? any suggestions regarding the repair or any idea of a likely cost would be appreciated.
thank you

[IMG]local://upfiles/10803/84C86F6548614F4FAE04B6F5F1E1810F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10803/68704A34AE56493AA236E49522672799.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10803/3E0FD729ED53430396AFA0CBB1B0EBEF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10803/CD3F9B95135F414A99CEE2CD2FBC36BD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: can this blazer be fixed?

year, miles would be helpful in pondering your question. JP

Old 10-28-2008, 07:50 AM

1995 4x4 about 113k miles, strong engine n tranny

Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that if you had to pay 'retail' or thereabouts it would not be worth it. Is something leaking in one of the pics? (right side pic?) Many times there is 'hidden' damage also-mechanical and the like. After repair you may have wind noises you never had b-4 or water leaks, etc. If you and your buds can fix it at a reduced cost or if you are up to a challenge then....Looks pretty costly to do in comparison to the value of the vehicle(with all due respect but....) Keep us posted if you do take on the challenge. JP[&:] PS also if the frame is bent....fixable but to get it right and put it on a frame machine you'll probably spoil 500-1000 just on straightening the frame.(and hopefully they get it right.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Anything can be fixed with enough time and money. With that kind body damage (body on frame construction, not unibody), there is most likely frame damage as well. Both would need to be pulled to get things back to some sense of straight. As stated above, the doors will likely never be perfect again.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 AM

I'm not too sure about the frame, the towing part is bent down substantially. The fluid on the ground to the right of the blazer is coming from a drive shaft, either front or rear cant remember. My main concern was whether or not straitening the unibody was an option. And yea in comparison to the cost of the vehicle i would rather not spend more then a certain amount. Thing is, i bought it for 2.2k, paid bout 400 for the tires, 500 for god dam tune up since its posted on the side, 350 for ball joints, and like 1000 messing with the EGR, getting it cleaned and replaced on multiple occasions. So i've dumped about 5g's into a really nice 4x4, would hate to sell it for 500, and then go out and buy another one for 2-3 grand, if it'd only cost me 1k to fix.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to see if the rear axle shifted forward, busting the transfer case. If that is fluid coming out of the transfer case, then you likely broke that in the accident.

I take it you had only comprehensive insurance...?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 AM

Well I got screwed, michigan is 'no fault', i thought if someone driving down the road slams into you like an ***, there insurance would have to pay to repair the vehicle. But no, someone in a brand new wrangle can go flying 50 mph thru a residential area and hit a parked car, and there full coverage will cover themselves only. So i got a 500 dollar check, couple days after paying a shop 1500 to make her mint. Its possible about the transfer case, but originally i was goin to part it out (until people backed out of the deals they proposed after i had uninstalled parts) and i was taking the transfer case motor off and the transfer case is clean, i think the fluid is coming out of a joint in the shaft.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

If someone hit an unattended, legally parked car, no-fault has no say in the matter and the insurance of the offending vehicle should cover any and all damages. If you were in the vehicle, that is a different story and at that point, your insurance coverage is all you have to fall back on. What was the $500 for?

The driveshaft has no fluid in it... So you either broke the transfer case or the rear axle. From the looks of where the puddle is coming from, you cracked the transfer case housing.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:48 AM

I was waiting for about 2 minutes to turn left into a gas station, so i was at a stop for sometime. I got 500 dollars because that is all i am entitled to in a case of your vehicle getting totaled by someone else. And i dont know whats broke just that the tc was clean and the shaft was where the fluid was dripping from.

Quick Reply: can this blazer be fixed?