2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

can you clear error code before emissions test??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:07 PM
TAZ454 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can you clear error code before emissions test??

If you disconnect the battery and then run car thru emisionsbefore the check engine light comes back on, will the test still pick up theerroror will it miss it ??

Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: can you clear error code before emissions test??

neither-it won't pick up the code and it won't miss it. In NY it will give you monitors(tests) not ready-due to the fact the battery was disconnected. So...you will have to drive it in order to run the 'not ready' tests/monitors and when they(tests/monitors) do run....whola...light(SES) comes on and you have to fix. Good luck Jerry[:'(]

Old 01-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Jerry is spot on. Your emission monitors will be in the "NOT READY" state which will be an automatic "drive it around for a day or two and come back" response from the inspection station. Once you drive it around, the light will come back on. You could get lucky, but not likely.

What is the code? Or do you have another thread on that? I do not have the time to look back...

Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

Also in NY you are allowed to have 2 systems/tests in not ready state, but no CEL can be on. I believe that is the max.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on which ones are not in the ready state.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Starting Member
Blazin1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would disconnect the the battery for a while, then drive the truck to see how long it takes for the SES light to come on. Disconnect the battery again, drive the truck for a while but not as long as the last time and take it in, who knows you might get lucky.

***What ever you decide to do is entirellyat YOUR OWN risk and the stated above is just an opinion.***

Old 01-23-2009, 08:39 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

This maybe completely outta left field but ill give it a shot....

Fix the problem thats tripping the code?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to clear things up...In New York, depending on the year, you can have up to 2 'monitors' not ready/run-BUT this is only for certain years.(just got off the phone with DMV safety/clean air) 1996- 2000 model years(in NY-but according the My NYS Inspection area rep.-all states are the same-EPA regulated)....anyway 96-2000 can have 2 monitors 'not ready'. Doesn't matter which of the required ones they are....up to two. And 2001 and newer can have only one nort ready. Doesn't matter which one...I could write a book on this stuff. Anyway, hope this clears things up, allittle. I'm not a fan of this system-just like everyone else-just have to live with it![&o] Jerry

Old 01-23-2009, 01:04 PM
TAZ454 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Peru Motors

Just to clear things up...In New York, depending on the year, you can have up to 2 'monitors' not ready/run-BUT this is only for certain years.(just got off the phone with DMV safety/clean air) 1996- 2000 model years(in NY-but according the My NYS Inspection area rep.-all states are the same-EPA regulated)....anyway 96-2000 can have 2 monitors 'not ready'. Doesn't matter which of the required ones they are....up to two. And 2001 and newer can have only one nort ready. Doesn't matter which one...I could write a book on this stuff. Anyway, hope this clears things up, allittle. I'm not a fan of this system-just like everyone else-just have to live with it![&o] Jerry

So are you saying that if I only have oneerror code, in my case my 98 has only the po442 code, I still could pass the test? , Iam in AZ, Iam going to fix it my tags are good till Aug but I was just curious, Just wonderingI had my fuel pump replaced , drove about 350 miles before I got the error. Is that a suspect point for the error ?? or would the error show up sooner If the problem was in the installation of the fuel pump ??

Old 01-23-2009, 02:32 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

No. Hes saying if you have one system NOT READY for a 2001+, or 2 systems NOT READY for 96-2000. NOT READY means you have not driven enough since your last reset...meaning you reset the system too recently. If you have the SES light on, you fail no matter whats ready or not.

A fuel pump can trigger a few codes. Go get your actual code P _ _ _ _ and post up.

Edit: I see from your other posts you have a 98. That would mean you fall in the up to 2 systems not ready. But seriously...go get your code read, and fix it. All this effort to try and skirt the system...you'd have it fixed already.