2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cannot remove key sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:29 AM
brock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cannot remove key sometimes

My 97 started holding the key when I exit the vehicle.
It of course must be in Park and in the off position to remove normally.
I had searched for previous posts and did not really find an answer.
I assume it has something to do with the gear selector since it is intermittent.
Can any one give me the mechanics or adjustments associated with the function, is there an electrical switch involved.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cannot remove key sometimes

It could possibly be a bad ignition switch, but I think the most likely cause would be the lock cylinder going bad. To replace it safely, you would want to disable the air bag. If it were me, this is one of those things that I would let either the dealer or a locksmith take care of.Using the'search' function for 'key stuck'you cansee what some others have done for this problem.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 AM
redpeppers is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a friend with the some problem and a new ignition lock had 2 b installed.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:58 PM
CanadaBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had the same problem with mine. There is a small plug(the size of a nickel)that you can remove with a small flathead screwdriver. Then you can insert that small screwdriver straight up and in which will press on a metal plunger which will manually allow you to remove the key- this will obviously only get you out of a pinch and as the other member said- you will have to replace that ignition part.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Starting Member
97ssblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

this is an old post but o well..
my 97 did this.. some sensor went bad in my coloumn. there is a small hole under a little metal rod.. using a screwdriver push up that rod and key comes right out . i couldnt see spending 140 dollars for it so i zip tied it up all fixed

Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 AM
dtetreau is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to be a common issue, My son's 99 has the same problem!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:09 PM
jburke is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue with my 97. I have replaced everything ingition ket related in the colum. I noticed if I turned the switch on, pushedthe brake pedal down and mash in the button several times for the shifter release (like you are going to put it into gear), you will hear a click inside the colum and then the key will release. I thought it might be the switch on the shifter itself but the problem is intermittant. Got me stumped.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
CMERK31 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having this problem with my 99 GMC Envoy. It seems like this has been a recurring GM issue. Wish I could find a solid answer.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: jburke

I have the same issue with my 97. I have replaced everything ingition ket related in the colum. I noticed if I turned the switch on, pushedthe brake pedal down and mash in the button several times for the shifter release (like you are going to put it into gear), you will hear a click inside the colum and then the key will release. I thought it might be the switch on the shifter itself but the problem is intermittant. Got me stumped.
I had a problem with it being stuck in park with the key stuck with my 98 and i have a floor shift lever. At first the problem was intermittant. After we bought the car, the BTSI wasn't working and the shifter could go out of park without hitting the brake. 2 months ago, i noticed that the solenoid was only releasing the shifter 1 out of 5 times when i started the car to allow me to shift into gear, and was getting worse until it was totally stuck in park. Had to use the override switch (white plastic tab under shift boot) to get out of park to get to the repair shop. Soon, THE KEY WASN'T GOING INTO THE LOCK POSITION and the key was stuck. I found out that the problem was the wiring being broken (under the shift boot) going to the shifter that controls the BTSI and everything related to it (e.g. allowing the key to go out). Repair shop charged me $12 for the parts (wire and misc. connectors, and heat shrink tubing) and 2 HOURS labor ($162+tax!!)

Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to all that I just saw this thread, but the computernerd is exactly right, In fact I'd be willing to bet that all of you who have posted here have a floor shifter in your truck...... The wiring for the BTSI and the Ignition lock cylinder control actuator (that thing in the column that you push up after removing the plug) is fixed to the shifter assembly, and MOVES every time the shifter is moved! The constant motion bends the wires and eventually they break in two. You can fix it with a simple wiring splice or solder after you remove the console. Niether the ignition switch NOR the ignition cylinder can cause this problem.

Quick Reply: Cannot remove key sometimes