2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cant pass smog in calif., no codes 4 inc catilyst, evap, o2 sensor, o2 htr. What 1st

Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
WGOOD is on a distinguished road
Question Cant pass smog in calif., no codes 4 inc catilyst, evap, o2 sensor, o2 htr. What 1st

I cant figure out, new fuel pump, new tank pressure sensor, just bought vehicle was suppost to be smogged, lady assured me would pass, now she wont pick up the phone, cant get title till smogged, no money dont know where to start. 2002 chevy blazer 4x4 v6

Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

When DTC's are cleared, all monitors are reset as well. Each monitor requires a certain "set" of driving conditions to be satisfied for all monitors to run and complete their tests. Aparently the monitors were reset recently and not all of them are complete on your vehicle. If any monitor indicates that it is incomplete, the test facility must fail the vehicle. If you perform and complete the General Motors Driving Cycle exactly as outlined, all monitors will run and complete their tests. If the Service Engine Soon light remains off after performing the drive cycle, the vehicle should pass the ODBII requirements for the State.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM

Great! I'll drive recommended amount to resolve issue, was in diyer concern had to change out more before it would be ok to pass smog. Thanks again, a bit of relief, better than aggrivation!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yup if all your monitors are ready and the engine light is off you should be able to pass in a heartbeat

do you have a scan tool to make sure the monitors are completed ?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
yup if all your monitors are ready and the engine light is off you should be able to pass in a heartbeat

do you have a scan tool to make sure the monitors are completed ?
yes, have a scan tool, drove recommended amount, had 4 inc, now only 2 inc= evap, o2 sensor. Need one inc for it to pass smog, any suggestions? Only thing I can think is driving around some more, Just want to pass smog

Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

witch o2 sensor ?

I think theres an o2 sensor heater if im not mistaken

and the evap i think the tank has to be over 1/2 tank during the drivecycle to complete its self

Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The O2 sensor monitor will run and complete if the drive cycle instructions are followed exactly as written. You can pick and choose the steps you want to run, and the steps don't need to be done in order, and you don't need to do all of them, but each step that you do, must be performed exactly as written or the monitor will not run. As Xgiovannix12 mentioned, the fuel level must be between 15% and 85% or the EVAP monitor will not run.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 PM
BF Guru

thanks for clearing that captain =)

Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The O2 sensor monitor will run and complete if the drive cycle instructions are followed exactly as written. You can pick and choose the steps you want to run, and the steps don't need to be done in order, and you don't need to do all of them, but each step that you do, must be performed exactly as written or the monitor will not run. As Xgiovannix12 mentioned, the fuel level must be between 15% and 85% or the EVAP monitor will not run.
Will do! I'm staying positive, this blazer has no other issues other than not passing smog, preformed all drive cycle proceeders in order.. Will follow diirections specified for evap & o2 sensor, and cross fingers, i've had a 86 chevy blazer 4x4, went 4 wheeling every weekend ran like a champ! Had a roll over when rock crawling, landed back on all four wheels, minor body damage, broken windshield, but started up like no other, it was the best.. Loved my 98 chevy 2500 ext cab, ran my own remodeling business out of that thing for five years, never had a major issue, all together keeping my faith and hoping the drive cycle will do the trick.. Thanks again, a life saver...

Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM

It says on that drive cycle page that it takes 15 minutes.... well, if you've done it enough, and get real familiar with it, 15 minutes is about right. But the first few times you try it, ya better plan on it taking a while longer, oh, and try to find somewhere with very little traffic around so you don't **** anybody off Sometimes vehicles will go 2 months or more and STILL not have all the monitors complete: after seeing what's involved with a drive cycle, you can understand why. Let us know how it goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cant pass smog in calif., no codes 4 inc catilyst, evap, o2 sensor, o2 htr. What 1st