2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Changed Rag Joint w/ U-Joint...wheel is 90 degrees off..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 AM
josemateos is on a distinguished road
Default Changed Rag Joint w/ U-Joint...wheel is 90 degrees off..

So I changed my Ragjoint, wasn't that hard of a job, BUT when I went to attach everything I had to rotate the wheel a 1/4 turn to get the DD side of shaft to fit. I had locked the wheels straight forward before starting and the tires didn't move move. Basically the DD side of the U-joint wouldn't fit without the 1/4 turn. I bought a 1 inch DD on one end and a 3/4 inch 30 spline on the other from Welder Joe's. Here's the link 1 inch DD Shaft x 3 4 30 Spline Stainless U Joint IMCA | eBay
So my steering is a bit tighter, BUT I just had an alignment done so I don't want to take it in, PLUS my shop thinks that a 1/4 turn is too much to correct and that I will be able to turn the wheel one way full cycle, but not the other. I see what they are saying, as that is what I originally had thought. So my options are try and get it straightened at an alignment shop or pull the steering wheel. I have a 1998 blazer w/ airbags....I'm not sure how to pull the wheel and I didn't find much info online. I will search more as this would be the best bet as currently the turn radius is equal on both sides.

Does anyone know of a writeup on removing wheel? Would you suggest that or messing with alignment? It is a Full 1/4 turn off currently

Has anyone else had this happen when installing the flaming river u-joint? I'm curious if the one I got was machined backwards, I called and they said they're all the same. Let me know what you guys would do. Thx!!

EDIT: Seems my dropbox pics NEVER work as hyperlinks!! Here is a link to a pic installed you can click on. One other issue I had problems with is the spline side didn't seat all the way down to the steering box. There is a small gap between the u-joint and steering box. Is this normal? I think it will be fine as others looked similar, but want to confirm as my pregnant wife is driving it. Did you have a small gap between the box and u-joint? I did set the screws. Thx again. Here's link to the pic.https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsf4hcbf9e512ze/IMAG3219.jpg

Lastly, I'm wondering if they make these u-joints machined with the DD side opposite? The u joint I rec'd had the flat spot for the top of the steering box on the same side as the flat side of the DD joint. What I need is one that has the curved side of the DD part lined up with the flat part of the steering box side. I called welder Joe's customer service and the person told em they are only machined the one way? I find it somewhat hard to believe? Do you agree? Thx again!!

Last edited by josemateos; 02-18-2014 at 12:05 PM.