2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Changing wiper wash sweeps

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:17 AM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing wiper wash sweeps

Hey guys,
I think I know the answer to this but I've been amazed with the amount of knowledge on this forum so here it goes:

Is there an easy way to change the number of sweeps the wipers make when washing the windshield? The wipers make 5 sweeps when washing. It seems every time I use the washer the glass is clear after about the 3rd pass and the following 2 sweeps make the glass dirty with visible streaks. This is incredibly frustrating, especially with winter approaching. Does anyone else share my frustration or know a reasonable way to tweak this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont think it would be possible without re-engineering the wiper pulse board.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I feel your pain, but agree that this probably isn't possible. I find it pretty annoying too, but I don't see how you could change it without altering the wiper control mod.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

you could wire in a push button switch that triggers JUST the sprayers, that way you can run the wiper on any setting you like until it's done. mount it up on your light controls, push to spray, let go when done, trip your wipers. shut off when happy. You = FTW!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:17 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABN31B
you could wire in a push button switch that triggers JUST the sprayers, that way you can run the wiper on any setting you like until it's done. mount it up on your light controls, push to spray, let go when done, trip your wipers. shut off when happy. You = FTW!
Thats a very good idea. Good problem solving!

Old 12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I tested my wipers today checking to see how many times it sweeps then parks. It goes 3 times then parks when you hit the wash button. Maybe the later models were programmed differently? or you could use the pulse board from a 96-97?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point

That may be worth looking into. They could have changed the wiper board in the later models. Seems like they should have "upgraded" to the 3 sweep boards in the later models but thats just my opinion.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 PM

I just checked the Autozone website and they show the same part # for them. I dunno!

Old 12-10-2009, 04:03 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Thats a very good idea. Good problem solving!
thats why i get paid the big bucks... now if only my "idea" can be put into action. It would be a cool unique set up though

Old 12-10-2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ABN31B
If your going to implement this idea you could use an extra hatch release button and then you could keep it low profile. There is plenty of room for an extra one. Because they are momentary contact switches. Then you could confuse other people with having 2 hatch switches and it would look factory.

Quick Reply: Changing wiper wash sweeps