2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Chassis and body full separation

Old 05-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road
Question Chassis and body full separation

Howdy,
I've been thinking much of doing a good maintenance of the chassis, especially frame. Its condition seems worth giving it a few years extra in use. My thoughts lead me to a conclusion, that the only reasonable way (others seem half-measures) is to:
  • separate the body from a chassis and frame
  • blast the frame & chassis
  • give it a paint with polyurethane cover
I've been looking for an information describing the process of a body and chassis separation - what has to be disconnected in which locations (links, cables, hoses). Sadly, haven't find much. If somebody could point me into a right direction, I'd be grateful. I need it to estimate the amount of job that has to be done and the height requirements (in my garage I have approx. 3 ft space above the top).
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 05-21-2018, 09:07 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

I know MountainDew went thru that process during his build, perhaps you could pm him, he might be able to help you out

Old 05-28-2018, 09:03 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I doubt you will find a list or step-by-step as the Blazer is just not popular enough.
What are you thinking of using to lift the body off the frame?
I did this with a C3 Corvette, but the body was much lighter, smaller, etc and I used straps and an engine hoist, built a support frame to set the body on after rolling the chassis out. I did this outside so there was enough room and then rolled everything into the garage.
Just need to be detailed and look ALOT as to what needs to be disconnected.

Good luck and do take pictures.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:34 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I haven't decide yet on how to carry out that process. I don't have a workshop but just a regular house garage and I'm limited with space above the body. If I knew the space is enough, then I could do a set of two support bars (front and back) and keep the body lifting with a regular hydraulic jack. That sounds rather straightforward.
The thing that concerns me most is the chassis assembly in the engine bay. I haven't worked out a front fenders assembly. If the body is solid there, it may require to remove all the accessories from above the wheel space like ABS and so on.
I know it may take quite a time - I'm finding a nice hobby doing Blazers Thing is whether I could do that into my garage or not. I don't like an idea of doing it outdoor, neither passing my beauty into somebody's hands (=You want to have it done right - do it Yourself).