2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough
Default Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard

Found inexpensive Android app ($8.95) that will read CMP Retard on my Blazer, using a BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter clone (Amazon).

It's called Car Gauge Pro. A bit clunkier to use than Torque Pro, but it looks like it reads more PIDs. People tend to complain about the UI, but I don't see why. I bought it specifically to work on Ford/Nissan because of some advanced features it has there and found the GM enhanced PIDs to include the CMP retard as well (typically missing in the phone apps). I have verified that the CMP Retard PID works just fine.

Looks like it has capability to do ABS and a number of other systems as well (at least on something - maybe Ford only, maybe more - the system choices are there). Don't know how it works for that right now.

Pretty cool little Android app!

Last edited by LesMyer; 08-19-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Default Car Gauge Pro - CMP Retard/Camshaft Retard

No ABS on Blazers. ABS on Ford.

Here's one custom gauge screen I made to view live data. Note CMP retard and misfire counters. Use the CMP Retard PID with single asterick.

Attached Thumbnails Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard-screenshot_2015-10-12-16-56-22_zpshshwtrwa.png  

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-13-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:16 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

Nice find.
I had previously bought Palmer Performance GM Enhanced to be able to read the cam retard PID.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by burned
Nice find.
I had previously bought Palmer Performance GM Enhanced to be able to read the cam retard PID.
Me too!! But if I remember correctly, the Palmer software Scan XL Pro GM Enhanced does ABS and other things on the Blazer (that I have not yet needed). I did use the simple OBD2 Terminal in Scan XL Pro to communicate with my TCCM when 4wd was inop by typing in the binary and receiving what the TCCM sent back. Bought HP Tuners to do the crank sensor relearn, injector balance test, and control of trans/torque converter. It seems they all have their use. But a cheap way to the cam retard really seems to be needed by the Blazer Masses for all those misfires!

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-13-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:08 PM
Default Misfire counter bug

Potential Bug found when using Car Gauge Pro v.3.66.26

Misfire counters for #1 and #2 cylinders in GM Powertrain module are switched. #1 in Car Gauge Pro is really #2 and #2 in Car Gauge Pro is really #1. The rest of the misfire counters are correctly labeled for V6 Blazers (V8 Vortec engines are unknown at this time).

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-16-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added info that Torque Pro has same problem.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Default More on Misfire Counter issue

Same thing for Torque Pro - so probably not a software bug int he app itself - must be elsewhere. Checking against Scan XL Pro (Windows) using both BAFX (bluetooth) and OBDLinkSX (USB) to eliminate or confirm any problem in the bluetooth adapter (firmware) or Android Phone (OS) or in the PIDs themselves. Should be able to tell.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Same thing for Torque Pro - so probably not a software bug int he app itself - must be elsewhere. Checking against Scan XL Pro (Windows) using both BAFX (bluetooth) and OBDLinkSX (USB) to eliminate or confirm any problem in the bluetooth adapter (firmware) or Android Phone (OS) or in the PIDs themselves. Should be able to tell.
I cannot get ScanXLPro GM Enhanced to read Misfire counters at all on my Blazer (must be disabled??)! HP Tuners was correct - misfire on #2 showed up as #2.

Been in contact with Car Gauge Pro developer. He is planning a "Misfire Alternate" in next release of Car Gauge Pro to be used with our Blazer Vortec V6.

Alternate Misfire #1 and #2 PIDs have been added to Car Gauge Pro for use with our engines, and the update will be available to the public with the next official release. Note that the app is in process of being renamed Car Diagnostic Pro.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-20-2015 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Upcoming update of Car Gauge Pro
Old 10-22-2015, 04:13 PM
telecaster is on a distinguished road

les, how did you get those gauges set up like that? I can read the pids but haven't figured out how to make the gauges and what not....

Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 AM

I'll give a quick and dirty for now. Note this is for v.3.66.26 of Cr Gauge Pro. I have seen a later un-released version of Car Diagnostic Pro and there will be a slight change to this procedure sometime in future.

If you have not already scanned all PIDS while connecting and then saved the file - then you will first need to connect to your vehicle and do so. After that you can disconnect and build gauges without being connected to your vehicle.

Select connect (GM/Powertrain), but this time select no scan and then select "Import PIDs (offline)". Note that at this point there is no need to actually be connected to the vehicle to build gauges. Select import from file and select the PID file that you previously saved. You will be returned to the main screen.

Select Dashboard and then click in the top right corner of a screen. Click the same place again and three gauge options will appear at the bottom of the screen. Select add gauge. Select the PID that you want from the available PIDs, and if you want digital gauge check that box. Select add and the gauge will appear on the screen. You can change the size/location and drag and move it by holding on the gauge until the options appear. Add the gauges that you want and arrange to your liking. Then click on gauge profile and save it to a file. Note that multiple gauge pages can be built and saved under the same file.

In the future, you just recall the gauge profile after connecting to your vehicle without scanning PIDs. You no longer have to scan PIDs each time (unless you want to use the "Diagnostics" area live data).

From what I have seen you can set the software up for a specific set of guages/vehicle. In preferences there is an option to choose a profile to load at startup, but I have not investigated this yet. Seems that would load a specific gauge profile without having to select it. I just tried it and it seems to do just that.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-23-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:07 AM

I see that Car Diagnostic Pro v.1.26 is now on Amazon (this version has the alternate misfire PIDs for us), but Google play still offers Car Gauge Pro 3.66.26. Don't know how future upgrades work on Amazon as I have never bought an app through them, or when Car Diagnostic Pro will be available on Google Play as a free upgrade. I heard he is having trouble with Google Play vendor inputs right now.

Quick Reply: Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard