2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 Lights solid wheels not moving

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:52 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 Lights solid wheels not moving

Ok guys & gals i went mudding about a week ago and got stuck alot. I figured it was just my tires or something but my buddys told me it didnt seem like the front wheels were spinning. So i jacked it up 2 day and put it in drive in 2wd and the rear left tire was spinning and the right rear was spinning not as much but i think thats how its suppose to be. So then i popped it in 4wd hi and i heard the TC ingage and the light stayed solid, so i looked at my front 2 wheels and nothing. They didnt even budge same goes for 4wd low. I looked under it while it was in drive with 4x4 hi engaged the front driveshaft was spinning but the wheels were not? Any help please thanks!!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4x4 Lights solid wheels not moving

Sounds about normal for a non-functioning vacuum actuator (under the battery). You first have to make sure that you have proper vacuum at the actuator when in 4wd and the engine is running. If you do, then you need to see how much the actuator is moving. If it is not moving, then the actuator is either blown or the cable is frozen.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:59 PM

ok cool at least its not the TC but wait how do you check the vacum at the actuator and how do you check to see if its moving thanks a ton

Old 01-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With your eyes and your hands... Maybe some tools...

Old 01-06-2009, 03:04 PM

lol thanks, if i just go buy the new actuator think that will solve it? its 55 dollars at autozone

Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Administrator

It could, but then again, it could be the switch in the transfer case or a frozen actuator cable. You really have to get down to the actuator and feel for vacuum, attempt to move the cable, and possibly disconnect the actuator from the cable and see if the vacuum pulls the actuator in (if vacuum is present).

Old 01-06-2009, 06:07 PM

okkk so i went to autozone and bought the actuator ill be getting it tommorow because they had to get it from another store, i took the battery tray out and found the actuator and the cable does pull. I started the truck up without the battery in place to see if it had suction and i dont know how i can tell because to switch it i have to go into the truck hit 4wd hi and come back out. Im going to switch out actuators tommorow and hopefully that fixes it if not then ill be back posting. Another thing how do you get that dam cable out of the actator?? Thanks again Kyle i really appreciate all your help you are definitely a asset to this forum

Old 01-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Administrator

DO NOT just throw parts at it unless you like wasting money. TEST!!

Pull the line with the engine running and the vehicle in 4wd. If you put your finger over the end, and the hose sucks fast, you have vacuum at the actuator and the actuator is the likely cause of the problem. You can also test with a vacuum gauge to ensure that you are getting full (or close to full) engine manifold vacuum as required. If you are getting full engine manifold, then the problem is likely a faulty actuator. If you are not getting any vacuum, or weak vacuum, then the switch and/or vacuum lines themselves are the cause. As I have said already, test and replace only what is necessary. Vacuum line is cheap and may very well be the entire cause of the problem.

As far as getting the cable out of the actuator, there is a spring clip on the end of the actuator that sits down in a slot. Just pull the part of the spring clip out of the slot and the actuator should be able to be pulled free from the cable.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:25 PM

k well it seems that my stupidness of buying parts before testing actually worked for once. It had 2 leaks. One was in one of the vacuum hoses in the engine bay and the other was the actuator it had a big slice in it. I replaced the section of hose and replaced the actuator and all is good got my 4 wheels spinning again. Thanks so much again kyle