2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Checking/adding Diff. fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:17 PM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Checking/adding Diff. fluid

Is it as simple as pulling out the plug and the fluid should be up to the bottom of the hole?

Old 12-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Checking/adding Diff. fluid

Yes.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that's all it is. If there isn't, you can gauge how far down it is with a section of bent wire to act as a make-shift dip stick. This will at least keep you from running oil all over the place if you just go crazy topping it off.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:05 PM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point

So is there not a drain plug on a 1996? That's what I think I'm hearing...and if there isn't..how do I drain it? I don't have any pump.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:15 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: magnum434

So is there not a drain plug on a 1996? That's what I think I'm hearing...and if there isn't..how do I drain it? I don't have any pump.
From what I remember most GM diffs don't have a drain plug since fluids are supposed to be sealed they don't need replacing as frequently as motor oil, they also don't get as hot as engine oil so they don't break down. So any drain plug found in a cover may be an aftermarket cover.

So to completely drain a diff you have to loosen the cover bolts enough to break the gasket seal and woila instant drain...this design has worked for many decades...

Old 12-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, speaking of rear diffs, yeah, you have to pull the cover. I have never seen it, but word is that some of the IFS diffs didn't have a drain plug and to open the case on one of them would be a major PAIN...

Old 12-01-2006, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

I always use my pinky...for checking anyways...the fluid should be up to your first knuckle when sticking your finger in the top

Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 PM

From what I remember most GM diffs don't have a drain plug since fluids are supposed to be sealed they don't need replacing as frequently as motor oil, they also don't get as hot as engine oil so they don't break down. So any drain plug found in a cover may be an aftermarket cover.

So to completely drain a diff you have to loosen the cover bolts enough to break the gasket seal and woila instant drain...this design has worked for many decades...
Both of the diffs on my '00 have drain plugs.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Administrator

The ZR2 is a different rear (8.625") than the rest of us have. It is possible that they also added a different cover to the rear axle.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The ZR2 is a different rear (8.625") than the rest of us have. It is possible that they also added a different cover to the rear axle.
Yeah, I know... the drain's actually in the casting, the drain is on the front of the diff, not on the cover.

Quick Reply: Checking/adding Diff. fluid