2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Chevy Blazer Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 08:35 PM
93Miata is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chevy Blazer Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming Instructions

What does your local dealer charge for GM keyless entry remotes?

My Chevy dealer wants $129 a piece plus $35 for programming for each of my cars (99 and 96 Blazer).
I'm curious to see what other dealerships are charging for new remotes and programming.

I'm done with ebay because the listings show new remotes, and 3 out of 3 times I've won - I end up with junk that doesn't work and won't program. First one was superglued together and cracked. Can't check the battery if you can't even open it. Second one was completely corroded inside from water and didn't work. The 3rd one only 1 button worked and it looked like someone tried to superglue the circuit board pieces back together. Each one was advertised as new, or like new and they obviously weren't anywhere close to that. The Keyles Ride site is run by one of those same lying ebay sellers, so thats off the list too.

What does your local dealership charge? I bet there's some that want even more than what mine is charging.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Chevy Blazer Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming Instructions

Wow... You've found some mighty bad sellers on ebay. I've bought 6 remotes from various sellers for various makes (3 GM, 2 Dodge and 1 Ford) and had nothing but good luck with them. The GM remotes are hard to kill. My parents remotes weren't working properly and after a quick inspection, the chip had came off of the circuit board in the remotes. Alittle solder time and now both remotes are back to perfect working condition. I have never gotten burned completely by ebay sellers with remotes.

Did you get your money back on the remotes? If not, I would file a complaint with eBay and file negative feedback to make sure that other buyers are aware of the sellers tactics.

As far as the programming, you can do it yourself. I think I had posted a how-to awhile ago... I don't know if it would apply to your vehicle as I don't know what you have (year, make, model, trim level...). The proceedure that I stated would work for anything 99+ (IIRC)...

If you have the part number of your current remote, you can go to GMPartsDirect.com and put it in there. For reference, my 2000 Bravada remote is PN 15732805 and costs $41.07 +S&H from GMPD.com.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:57 AM

Well, I filed complaints with ebay, but they don't seem to go anywhere. One seller, "Eagles_wingz" is apparently ripping everyone off, because he just got a few pages of complete negatives.

When I sent emails to the sellers about the problems, and requesting a refund, each one denied a refund, and some even said that the item was in perfect condition when they shipped it (not possible, as this is clearly old damage).

I was also told that if I post anything but positive feedback I would receive a negative, despite paying the same day - and I'm not going to riun my 6 year perfect record on ebay for those idiots.

I checked the GMParts site and their prices are better, but they charge $10 for shipping a tiny item.

Are there any other sources?

Old 10-10-2005, 01:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks... I would push harder on the complaints with eBay and forward to them any correspondance from the sellers.

Anyway, I know that $10 seems high, but considering that all other sources that I have found have higher prices (higher than $10) and over $6 s&h, it is still a good deal. You could always try to get lucky and try your local auto-recycler (aka junkyard) and see if they have something that would work. Typically they'll have a box full of remotes separated by make. You'd just have to sift through the box to try to match up your PN. All of the yards around me have a 100% money back guarantee. If the part doesn't work or has some kind of unseen defect, you can bring it back and they'll refund your money.

I did just find this site...
http://ebiz.netopia.com/yr/chevytruckvan/
Seems like a good price, $19.95, but I didn't go into any of their return policies nor do I know if they are new or refurbished... Plus, it doesn't look like the site is complete (ie. missing the store policies section)...

Other than that one, every other legitimate site lists the remote at $60 +S&H, which would put it well over the price of a remote from GMPD.com. Although, if you are pressed for time (aka need it right away), I will warn you that GMPD.com is known for slow delivery. The last order I had from them took 2 weeks to show up.

*EDIT - Just FYI, I did a quick google search for 'GM remote #15732805' to find quite a few online retailers.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:32 AM

The ebiz site looks a little too basic and worries me, so I passed on them.

I checked a few other sites...

I found another keyless entry remote site online that I'm willing to give a shot - www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

The KR site wants $59 a piece for the 99 Blazer Remote, and they're 1/2 that price on ThePartsYouNeed site with the instructions included. I ordered 1 for now.

https://www.thepartsyouneed.com/disp...?productId=104

I'll keep you guys posted. If it works good, I'm going to order one for my 96 as well.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Administrator

To me, it would have to be significantly lower than half the new price for me to buy a used one. I would rather spend the money for something that was guaranteed to work the first time, than waste my time with something that might work the first time. I know what my time is worth and if I spend more than 1 hr fiddling around with something, I would be much better off to pay for a new one.

But, that is me now, my other experiences with eBay remotes were from when my family and I didn't have a lot of money to spend on getting working remotes. A used eBay remote was a much more economical solution.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:43 PM

With my dealer quoting $129+35 ($164), $29 on ThePartsYouNeed.com is about 1/5 the price...thats "significantly lower than half".

Old 10-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Administrator

I was using the $41 + $10 S&H from GMPD.com. That is brand new, never used parts coming from GMPD.com. The dealer is quoting you retail price, while GMPD.com is quoting wholesale. So no, the $29 is not "significantly lower than half". I would rather spend the extra $20 to not have the hassle of dealing with used parts no matter what the condition. Like I said earlier, I've been there before (buying used remotes) and have had good experiences, but now I'd just rather not deal with the possibility of having issues.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:55 PM

Well, if you're ok with spending $10 for shipment of a 2 ounce item from GMPD that takes 2 weeks+ (as quoted on other forums), thats cool. I'll update everyone when my order comes in.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Administrator

On something as non-critical, I wouldn't think twice about spending that on a brand new item especially considering that NO other place has that price. Even if it took 2-3 weeks to get here, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I could live without a remote for afew weeks. There are many other parts that I could not deal with the wait and would pay the higher costs to get them ASAP. Nice thing about where I'm working now is that there is an AC Delco store around the corner. Why go to the dealership if you can go to where the dealership gets their parts!

I hope that everything works out for you. I'm in no way saying that what you are doing is not the right way to do it. Just voicing my opinion on it. Especially considering the difficulties that you have already had with used remotes... Anyway...

Just as a side note, the reason why GMPD.com s&h (mainly h - being handling) is so high is because they have warehouses all over the US. Items get shipped from the warehouse to a central distribution point, then they get shipped to the customer. The main cost in that process is the handling. All of their parts are true dealer cost (what the dealer pays) and all are brand new OE parts.

Quick Reply: Chevy Blazer Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming Instructions