Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Chirping when steering turned left low speed (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/chirping-when-steering-turned-left-low-speed-99139/)

Vintage 03-19-2019 03:42 PM

Chirping when steering turned left low speed

Hi just have a chirp noise after turning steering to the left,. Happens at low speed like at the drive up lane at MacDonalds. I had my wife drive and turn and hear it coming from left wheel area. Only happens on the initial turn then does not continue as you roll forward.
1996 Blazer 69000 miles.

Looking for what to check or anything others have seen as similar problems.

thank you.

Trukntigger 03-19-2019 04:08 PM

Several questions first. Is this sound on any surface or just on say new blacktop? Any recent changes to Blazer like tires? Brakes on or off? How does power steering fluid level look? Serpentine belt in good shape? When turning left are we talking sharp full lock left or wider turn? Any indication of tire making contact with something in wheel well area? Do you hear this sound when stopped and just cranking the wheel hard left to lock? Two or four wheel drive?

I ask because narrowing down possibles. Could be anything from needing ball joints greased or replaced too slippingbelt or power steering issue. Guess I’m saying run a few tests/checks so forum has some more information to go on.

Vintage 03-19-2019 06:25 PM

Thanks Trukntigger
Noises are difficult so your suggestions will help. I need to do some additional work on this . I noticed this at the drive up at Mac Donalds making sharp left turn in the drive up shute. Only noticed at this moment because the drivers window is open, hardly notice when window is closed. It is a high pitch sound like metal on metal. The front brake pad and rotors were changed recently so could be related to that change. Thanks again when I get the answer I will update.

Trukntigger 03-19-2019 07:07 PM

Metal on metal like that usually is the brake pad tabs that are supposed to make that high pitch sound to let you know pads need replacing. Seeing you mentioned recently replaced maybe you got metallic pads that are noisy and not broke in yet or job was not done correctly. I’d start there, pull left tire and inspect that brake.

error_401 03-24-2019 07:29 AM

Just a thought.

Not that the noise is the hissing of the steering pump you hear when hitting the stops. But then it should make that noise in both directions of turn.
That would be a relatively high pitch hissing noise.

Mike.308 03-24-2019 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by error_401 (Post 705788)
Just a thought.

Not that the noise is the hissing of the steering pump you hear when hitting the stops. But then it should make that noise in both directions of turn.
That would be a relatively high pitch hissing noise.

I know what You're about. I had that issue with some other cars, but I'm not sure if Blazers are same. Anyhow, if it's the pump, the chirping shouldn't go off if You stop rolling.