2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Clicking instead of starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:21 PM
tomsblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clicking instead of starting

Ok, i get in and turn the switch and only get a clicking sound. I put a voltmeter on battery and it reads 12.58 with ignition 'on' and goes to 11.7 when turned to the 'start'possition andthe 'clicking' occurs.Put battery charger on and voltage is boosted to 13.6with same results.
I assume that the starter is not being activated because my solenoid is doing the clicking. I can not seem to find the solenoid. Anyone got ideas as to what my problem is? And can you point me to the location of the solenoid?

Old 08-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Clicking instead of starting

Check the positive terminal in the battery. Make sure that both of the terminals are clean and tight.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:17 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Try these diagnostics tests:

Old 08-20-2007, 07:32 AM

checked connections and did some of the voltage test referenced above, all looked well. while under the truck, i tapped on the side of the solenoid and the truck started right up afterwards. I guess this means my solenoid is sticking? or could this be the starter?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If hitting the starter caused it to start, then you have a failing starter. What happens is the brushes inside of the starter motor wear into the rotor. Over time, the brushes will loose connection on the rotor. The function of the brushes is to alternate the field in the rotor to move the motor creating torque. By hitting the starter, you re-seated the brushes buying you some time.

I recommend you replace the starter as soon as possible. Hitting the starter will only work for a while before you will be stranded...

Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Archrin is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same problem on mine, and I find that if I turn the ignition to ACC before going back to start it, it starts up just fine. Is that still a starter problem? Or is something else at work?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:29 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Tom, if you have a place near you that rebuilds starters and alternators, I recommend having your's rebuilt rather than buying a rebuilt one. Don't know why, but it's always seemed to work out better in my experience.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:18 PM

thanks for the help guys. i will go ahead and replace starter/solenoid at the same time