2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Clueless

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Starting Member
jeffrotaylo is on a distinguished road
Default Clueless

I recently changed Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plugs, and Coil on a 2000 Chevy Blazer. It was running rough ONLY when wet weather was an issue. Now the damn thing wont start at all after a night of rain....What would cause this?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to 2nd Gen Tech* - The Lounge is for off topic discussions only. Please read the forum section descriptions and choose the section that is most appropriate for your topic before posting.

Wires improperly seated on distributor cap or plugs? Wires improperly routed? Cap installed improperly? Rotor installed improperly? Inferior aftermarket cap/rotor installed?

Could be a bunch of things. Have you checked over your work?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Starting Member

No...All is good, it ran well till we got the most recent rain

Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... No what? How have you ruled out any of the mentioned items? Be specific. Your initial post and your response are VERY lite on details and somewhat confusing as to the order of events. Initially, it sounded like it was running rough before the tune up and now won't start...

Your follow up seems to imply that after the tune up it runs rough in wet weather now to the point of it not starting after sitting overnight with it raining. What was it doing before the tune up?

Aftermarket caps & rotors have been known to cause driveability concerns...

Another thing to check is the drains in the distributor base. Some distributors have slots and others have screens. Either can get plugged up by various means. A can of compressed air can clean them out.

You have to be willing to help us help you. If that means you take more of your time explaining things, then so be it. If you don't want to take the time to fully detail things, it makes it awful hard for us to help you. After all, we aren't anywhere close to your vehicle.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Starting Member

Okay here is the skinny.....Truck was running badly before the tune up, when it would rain I would get spark ground due to cracks in the wires, so I thought. The truck would kick and buck when wet out. So naturally I figured a change in general ignition componants would solve the issue. After changing these items I noticed a huge diff in the way the truck ran. Until it rained. When I was driving in the rain it still kicked and bucked. Now after sitting for an evening of rain It attempted to fire up, stalled, now I have no fire. My Blazer cranks and cranks, but no fire. I can tell you that the parts I replaced were purchased at Napa...How inferior they are, I have no idea.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Have you misted down the ignition components with a spray bottle at night? The coil could be leaking spark...

Checked the distributor drains?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Starting Member

No I have not done either of those things yet. I will do them and let you know what I find. Thanks for your suggestions

Old 09-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Starting Member

No spark leak. Where are the distributor drains located. Should I have maybe gone with an AC Delco dist. cap? I have a feeling the dist cap is my problem.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

ACdelco are the recommended caps yes.

The drains are located under the cap. Remove the cap, and rotor and look at the bottom of the distributor, there will either be holes, or vents with screens down on the bottom.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

I would make sure you added di-electric grease to both ends of the spark plug wires. The spark plugs, as you know, are low on the heads and best accessed through the wheel wells. When driving in the rain they get wet. The distributor cap sits right at the joint where the back of the hood meets the body and water drips right on to it. Our Blazer used to surge in the rain until I figured out the plugs and the cap were getting wet.

Quick Reply: Clueless