2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Code 440 EVAP EMISSION

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Starting Member
megaroos_00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Code 440 EVAP EMISSION

I am having a problem with my service engine soon light. Had it checked and they gave me the code of ~~ 440 EVAP emission control system malfunction~~ However it goes out occasionally
I have noticed that last summer it came on:
1. When it was 85+degrees
2. When the gas tank was either less then half -->empty

But it went off when I filled it up and drove a few days and once it went down into the cooler temps

Now I'm having the same problem but with the colder temps, and again once I fill it up and drive around a few days it turns off. But it's not as common as it was in the summer.
My suv is due for PA inspection @ the end of March and I'm wondering is this gonna cause it not to pass? I was told this sort of thing wouldn't if the light was out and would if the light was on???
Already replaced my gas cap so it can't be that
Status Now: out
Help Please[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Code 440 EVAP EMISSION

As this comes and goes, seemingly related to when you fill up with fuel, I would suspect a failing or failed gas cap.

One thing that you can do as a check would be to make sure that, when you tightened down the gas cap, you tighten until it clicks atleast 3 times. You can also check the seal on the gas cap for cracks or other signs of wear/age.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
jphayes921 is an unknown quantity at this point

have the same code. my consists of ftp sensor and purge valve that i have yet to replace and live with having to unhook the evap canister to fill my tank, but you might want to check those out or replace them.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Starting Member

I went and purchased a new cap, this one is so tight sometimes I cannot even get the thing off to fill up.
What and where are the FTP sensor and purge valve located?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... Did the light return after replacing the cap?

The fuel tank pressure sensor is located on the top of the fuel pump assembly. The purge solenoid (valve) is located on the passenger side of the intake plenum in front of the distributor. The other possibility is the vent solenoid which is located under the truck. Its location is different between 2dr & 4dr models. Any source of a leak in the system can cause this code.

Here is the full description of the code and the complete diagnostic steps for repairing this condition: P0440 Explained

Old 03-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Starting Member

In my original description I said I already replaced the gas cap. The light still comes on. Now I may be a woman but I think I know how to tighten a gas cap correctly lol

thanks for the description

Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Yup, I sure missed that in your original post. Sorry about that. I read too quickly most of the time because it seems my work here is never done.