2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Code P0306 in relation to Fuel Pressure Regulator?(with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Code P0306 in relation to Fuel Pressure Regulator?(with pics)

well here it goes... on monday my CES light came on. I hooked up the code scanner and got the code P0306- misfire cylinder six. So today I pulled the #6 plug and it was covered in fuel. I pulled the plug 2 hours after starting it. After seeing this , I did a fuel pressure test and the line would not hold pressure. I decided the FPR was bad, so I pulled the upper intake off and well the pics below speaks for themselves.

looking at the lower half of the FPR and that side of the lower intake manifold, I figure the FPR is bad. I have a new FPR on hand and will replace it tomorrow along with a new nut kit.

Now that is covered I have two questions.
1.What can I do to prolong the life of the Spider Injector? Can I remove the poppet valves and clean them with TBI cleaner or soak them in an ultrasonic cleaner? If I can clean them, are there o-rings that I will need and are they sold at part stores?

2. This question is the most important to me. Would fuel in the lower intake leak past the poppet valve and cause the P0306 code or is the poppet valve frozen open? My gas consumption lately has been very high, about 8-10 miles a gallon. Also how does the computer know that particular cylinder is bad?All the plugs on theright bank of the engine were fuel fowled. Is P0306 in general the right engine bank?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Code P0306 in relation to Fuel Pressure Regulator?(with pics)

If it were mine...I would replace the FPR, nut unit, replace the plugs(all 6) remove the EGR(as shown in picture and real easy to get at nowthat all is disassembled), clean it(pintle) , install a 'screened' gasket upon re-installation. Good to go...I would worry about the actual injectors if and when....Good luck-Jerry

Old 01-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Starting Member

thanks for the reply..I had planned on replacing the plugs. I'm also going to replace the Dist. Cap and rotor button while its easy to get at. I'm going to be doing the EGR too. Had planned on cleaning it soon, already have the screened gasket and tube cleaning brushes. That gasket was a pain in the *** to find. Went to three different Autozones, they all said they had it in stock but couldn't find it on the shelf. The last one I went too spent 45 mins looking for it. They said they have never sold one and that it was in a pile of old inventory. They asked me why I would pay three times the price for one because of that screen. I had to explain the reason for it. They said why in the hell don't they make all of them like that then? [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 01-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's been awhile on the tune-up and you're not broke...Also might as well do the wires as well as the fuel filter and air cleaner.(if not done lately) As far as the price of the screened gasket-I'm not exactly sure how much more the screened gasket is but one additional EGR issue-scan ECM, EGR removal/cleanout/re-install and there is your extra cost times three(or more depending who does it). By the way-if you paid $100 buckeroos for your rig.....you have some buckeroos left over for the above( I hope-unless you're like our government..lets not go there!) Jerry[&o]

Old 01-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Starting Member

lol..yep paid $100 for it two months ago. The owner kept dumping money in it, but the small town garage was screwing the guy royally. He spent over $3500 on this thing and the same problem kept coming back. It kept having starting issues. Turned out the problems were made worse by the repair shop. They pinch the battery cable between the starter and exhaust and burned it , then put a 400 CCA battery( I didn't know they made them that small)in it, which was feeding low voltage to the starter and damaging it. the original owner had the starter replaced twice, battery twice, ignition switch, egr valve replaced and ports cleaned, dist cap, rotor,wires, control module, coil,and map sensor. All these parts were replaced to fix the starting issues. He got feed up with car and asked me how much I would give him for it. I (joking) said $100, he looked at me wierd and said ok its yours and he gave me the title. I spent $30 on an OEM batt cable, $80 on a battery, and $120 on a starter and drove it home. This pissed him off. I told him what I discovered was wrong, he is now in the process of trying to destroy the reputation of the garage that 'worked'on his autos.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Starting Member

Back to the original post.. does anyone know the answer to my 2nd question? I'm going to head out for some parts and was wondering if I need something else to"cure the code".

Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your question has been answered in a lot of other posts, but for the sake of saving time, yes, it can leak past and may be causing the code. You will not know if you have cured the code until you fix that problem.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Starting Member

I understand that I should use the search feature, Im new to this forum, but not new to forums altogether. I did a search on the code P0306 and only got 7 threads in return. I read all, and none of them answered my question. The part of the second question I wanted answer was " how does the computer know that particular cylinder is bad?All the plugs on theright bank of the engine were fuel fowled. Is P0306 in general the right engine bank? "

I understand that this could cause the code, but I was wondering why only I got a cylinder six misfire when all cylinders had fuel fouled plugs. Thats all I wanted to know. Sorry...but the search feature was no help.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I know I have answered your question before, and more than once. The computer knows which cylinder is misfiring by comparing knock sensor input to crankshaft position (via the CKP sensor). When the PCM does not see an event (like cylinder ignition), it increases the value of a particular variable. When that value gets high enough, the CEL is triggered. If the PCM sees that particular event consistently again, the variable is reset.

Oh and to broaden your reading horizons, try searching for P0300 which covers the gambit concerning these codes. You will find a DTC post in the new DTC section as well as a very lengthy post in the 2nd gen tech section.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Starting Member

Thank you for the answer. ......signing off