2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Code Scanners

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Starting Member
truesmack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Code Scanners

Any ideas on which code scanners and good and able to work with check engine lights and whatnot. I know I need a OBD II version to work on my blazers, a 2001 & 2002. Other than that just looking for the best one for my money, any suggestions. Sorry Im sorta clueless.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Code Scanners

What is your budget? Do you just want it to read codes? How close is your nearest Autozone or Advance Auto?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Starting Member
truesmack is an unknown quantity at this point

I have already cleared the code at my most local advance, so I already know about that one, just thought it would be nice to have my own too, and what else I can do with it too? Not sure on the budget issue, cheaper is better of course thou.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'll start by listing what generic scanners do for you. Basically, they will only list P0xxx codes which are generic OBD2 codes. They will not read manufacturer specific codes.

When you get to some of the higher feature (higher $$$) scanners, they will be able to read the manufacturer specific codes P1xxx and possibly get in and read body codes (Bxxxx), chassis codes (Cxxxx), and communication codes (Uxxxx). Also, depending on the number of features, some scan tools can access the PCM bidirectionally, allowing for control over idle speed, injector balance, as well as the display (and possibly recording) of engine operating parameters among many other features.

I am very fond of my AutoEnginuity scanner. Requires a laptop (which I have owned various laptops over the years) and has bidirectional control with the optional GM enhancement package. Makes troubleshooting vehicle problems a lot easier when you can perform the exact test that the dealership would do! This scan tool is not for everyone and has a pretty steep learning curve, but for someone that wants to do their own repair work on a modern vehicle (and/or help out friends/family with their vehicles), it sure makes things easier!

You really should take a browse through what is offered at various stores, maybe visiting the respective websites of the manufacturers and figure out what balance of cost and features you want to have in a scan tool. I can recommend what I have, but as I said, it isn't for everyone and the cost is relatively high. I will say that with all of the work I do for myself and others, my AE scan tool has paid for itself!