2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

coil pack noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Starting Member
canuck blazer is on a distinguished road
Default coil pack noise

Hey guy's 2002 blazer 4dr just started getting a new noise kind of hard to describe almost like something being spun ,Have traced it to my coil pack or distributer not sure which it is , looks like a coil pack ,anyway seems to be coming from under it any ideas on what it could be?

Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Beginning Member
cctcct67 is on a distinguished road

2002 I believe that's the distributor your talking about it also has a single coil too. Are you talking about the rear of motor where all the plug wires run to (distributor) or mid way up passangers side of motor where coil is, it has a single wire from it going to distributor.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Starting Member

it is at the rear of the vehicle a flat box that my wires plug into and funny i am not getting any codes at all

Old 12-21-2013, 09:53 AM
metalmeltr is on a distinguished road

Distributor cap?

Attached Thumbnails coil pack noise-dc20009a.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Starting Member

yea that's it wow i am getting old that is not what i remember a distributor cap looking like, been a long time since Ive had to deal with one of these thanks guys

Old 12-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Beginning Member
cctcct67 is on a distinguished road

Is the noise a crackle like its arching out or is it metallic sounding? If maybe arching out try running truck at night see if you can see it arch. If its metalic I would pull the cap for start and see if everything's clean and still together (just have to remove 2 torqe bit screws). Also check to see if there is play in distributor gear at this point. You may want to pull distributor all together to make certain no problems( make sure you mark for install there are many threads here to explain removal and install). The injectors are also close to there make sure that's not the sound you are hearing.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Starting Member

Thank you will pull the cap and inspect I will have to wait till after Christmas but thats ik won't be using the blazer anyway, I have to admit first thought was the injectors ,But when I touched the cap I could feel something, must be arcing

Old 12-21-2013, 08:14 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

If you want to see if its arcing... when its dark out, take a spray bottle of water and lightly mist around the back there, see if you see any sparks.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:20 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

I suspect the noise you are hearing is the rotor rubbing the inside of the distributor cap.

Test this way. With engine running, grab the distributor cap with your hand and you will likely feel a vibration. Try slightly twisting the cap or pushing the cap down or pull it up and see if the vibration/noise goes away. Do not apply alot of twisting or pressure as the distributor cap screws are into thin plastic and are easy to break.

The problem is likely due to worn distributor bushings. The fix is cheap....get a new distributor...an aluminum housing one...about $50. Bit of a pain to replace due to the limited work area, but not too bad. Check ebay for the distributor; comes with new cap/rotor...not the best of course and for sure not Delco...but will last for awhile...just plan on replacing the cap/rotor with Delco parts.

Good luck.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Beginning Member
2000blaze is on a distinguished road

i think i might have the same noise you have i narrowed it down to the plug and fuel lines that go into the intake itself i used a wood dowel to hear it there. i shot a small video its kid of like a grindish type noise more lower end rpms then any thing.

Quick Reply: coil pack noise