2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cold Start hesitation...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Beginning Member
Canam is on a distinguished road
Question Cold Start hesitation...

Elloz I have a quick question and gather some ideas if possible...

I have a 2000 Blazer LT with 100K I just bought from a guy that is shipping out to Korea It has been a 1 owner car but with his deployments his wife and step daughter shared in the driving.

Anyways when I start up the truck first thing ... she idle well no issues but... when I give it alittle gas she starts to shake from the rear like she is in gear and trying to move. This happends at 1500 just under 2000 rpms or as I call it { sweet spot} if I go past that she levels out and moves on no probs. Now if I decide to drive it she goes but soon as I hit around the "sweet spot" she bogs down like she wants to loose power and shutters but If I floor it or goes past that point she flies like a bat out of hell. This event only happends for like 20 mins or so after that she runs normal and I can leave it for 2-4 hrs and come back she runs fine.

Now I tend to give it a full tune up "plugs, wires,etc" thats one other change the fuel filter and also flush and treat the fuel injectors. My question is am I going in the right direction? Am I missing anything? Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.. thanx ahead of time....

Old 08-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is a TSB that discusses timing chain noise affecting the knock sensor causing the PCM to pull timing at around 1800RPM. You could be experiencing this kind of problem, but I would definitely recommend a tune up especially if the old owners can't tell you when it was last tuned up, if ever.

Remember, these trucks tend to prefer AC Delco caps & rotors. Also, if you know someone with a high feature scan tool, check the cam retard value as this can cause issues with timing. It is covered in the EDI Engine Timing thread in the Tech Article section.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Beginning Member
Canam is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info I will check out that section...

I know around 90K is best time to tune up but they old owners cant say if they did so... of I will go at that route....

Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know if you have any questions.