2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Control arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:07 PM
jim109 is on a distinguished road
Default Control arms

Hi i have a 2003 trailblazer i ordered new upper & lower control arms complete with ball joints & bushings ,struts & springs unit and inner & outer tie rod.i want to change all these parts i would like to know if there is a certain order ishould follow or just have at it ? Thanks for any help or ideas. Jim

Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

2WD or 4WD? You've got conflicting info in your post. If you have upper control arms, you have shocks, (2003 S/T series Trailblazer). If you have struts, you do not have upper control arms, (2003 GMT series Trailblazer). Repair procedures are different between S/T & GMT.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM

Sorry Capthook i have shocks & 4wd

Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The torsion bars must be unloaded and removed first. There are threads, here on the forum, that explain how to do it. Then remove each steering knuckle and the control arms. The cam bolts on the upper control arms like to seize in the bushings. If you end up cutting them out, you'll need replacement cams: MOOG-K6367 Front Upper Control Arm Cam and Bolt Kit Made By MOOG

Old 08-13-2013, 04:25 PM

still waiting for parts .got haynes manual dont see anything about torsion bars maybe stabilizer link?

Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 PM

Haynes and Chilton are worthless. Half of the information is wrong, the other half is missing. Don't bother with them unless you need help changing oil.... BTW, the 4.3L takes 5 quarts Amazon & Ebay have GM "dealer issue" shop manuals, well worth the money. Sometimes you can find used ones too, cheap.

Yes, stabilizer links and shocks must also be removed. The torsion bars MUST be unloaded before removing the lower control arms. Torsion bars develop lift by twisting them. They hold up the weight of the front of the vehicle. There is a lot of stored energy in the bars, be very careful, make sure they are fully unloaded before removing them. A good shop manual can help keep you out of the hospital, or save your life.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I have removed the torsion bars on my '98 Jimmy to replace the control arm bushings. I would highly recommend buying the correct tool to do the job. Plain old C-clamps are dangerous. It's about $80 I think but it's worth it to not break your arm or damage your truck.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:44 AM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road

Amazon.com: Pro-Grade 18203 8-Inch Adjustable combination 2 & 3 Jaw Gear Puller: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Pro-Grade 18203 8-Inch Adjustable combination 2 & 3 Jaw Gear Puller: Home Improvement

I used that puller to unload the torsion bars three different times on my Jimmy/Blazer. Once on the Jimmy and twice on the Blazer. It's a really beefy puller. Though I wouldn't recommend using it more than twice on the same side, since the edges of the cross member started to bend a little after the second time on the Blazer. Use common sense, don't kill yourself.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 PM

This is the correct tool for unloading the torsion bar:
Buy OTC GM Torsion Bar Unloading Tool OTC7822A at Advance Auto Parts

Last edited by Captain Hook; 08-14-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

When I did my bushings, I had rented this to help install them and it worked perfect to unload the torsion bar, if you remove the cup there is a ball on the end and the flat fixed end lays perfectly on top of the crossmember

Quick Reply: Control arms