2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Coolant change DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:09 AM
jdw1529 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coolant change DIY?

I recently puchased a 2001 and it looks like it needs a coolant change. I did some searching but couldnt find any writeups for maintenance items.

Is there any info for coolant change procedure?

Thanks
John

Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 AM
kaercher4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Coolant change DIY?

John,

Try searching for Dexcool or flushing coolant. I just searched Dexcool and lots of hits. I did it according to recommendations found here. This was due to a no heat issue. That reminds me, try searching for "no heat" as well. Hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:44 AM
DCFluX is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd recommend you install a Prestone back flush kit, which is like $6 and then go with Prestone all makes all models 'Big Yellow' coolent.

To open the radiator stop ****, put a 1/4" ratchet into the square hole. These can be stuborn so you may need a pair of pliars. Catch as much of the old coolent as you can in a bucket as animals like to drink this stuff and there is an enviromental issue as well. Remove the thermostat housing so the block can get cleaned and the lower radiator hose.

With a back flush kit installed hit it with the garden hose for a good 30 minutes.

There has been alot of fear going around about Dex-cool and no one knows who to believe. One day I called over to the local dealership and one of the shop technicians told me he just got rid of his S-10 because the intake manifold gasket was leaking due to being disolved by Dex-cool, the next day his supervisor denied Dex-cool ever being a problem saying he has never heard of any of the ill effects.

While you are in there I would also recommend you change your thermostat and radiator cap. Jammed radiator caps are the number one cause of heater core death. I like the Stant products. 195 degree for the T-stat and get the radiator cap with the red safety lever, only like $2 more, but you can check if your coolent is too hot before you get boiled.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if you want to do a full system flush then you should purchase a chemical flush product, from Prestone. You run it for a little while according to the directions. Then drain your coolant into an approved container so as not to harm the environment and animal life. There are two small plugs near the front motormounts that when removed will allow the coolant from each side of the block.

You will have to remove the thermostat since it blocks water flow in one direction. With that removed you can hook up a garden hose to one of the heater hoses and then flush the entire cooling system...