2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Coolant Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 AM
NIUzer0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coolant Leak?

First off, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their great input. I've already utilized a lot of it in installing my car stereo system.

1999 Blazer LT 4dr 4WD

However now I have a bit of a problem. I have had a consistent odor of coolant inthe vehicle. At the end of this past winter I had to replace the thermostat, water pump, and fan clutch. I had someone inspect it to find the leak and they said it was the water pump that was leaking, prompting the replacement. Yesterday, I noticed while I was driving to work a stronger odor than normal. After I drove home, I checked the coolant in the resevoir and it was empty. I bought some coolant and added it to the resevoir (50-50 with water of course). I let it circulate in order to see if I needed to add more and it leveled off fine. This morning I checked beneath the vehicle for any wet spots and I couldn't really see anything. Although I do live in an apartment complex so as you would imagine there are oil stains and the like on the pavement. I checked the coolant again both in the resevoir and removed the radiator cap. Both looked good. Here is where it got interesting. I was driving to work this morning and I noticed there was condensation build up on the windshield abovethe passenger side dash. Then I noticed a mist emanating from the passenger side speaker grill on the dash. Also, the odor of coolant was fairly strong this morning as well while driving. This mist might also be the same as the mist that comes out of my upper vents on a hot day with the AC on. I would think I would have a little condensation possibly coming from the vents but I get some decent streams of white mist.

As an aside, ever since I have owned the vehicle it seems that the heating/cooling system is always running. For instance if I have the dial set to the upper vents, you can always feel aconstant warmair flow coming from them even with the blower dial set to the "off" position. If I adjust the tempterature dial you can also notice a change in the temperature of the air coming out. I am not sure if that is normal or not but in every other vehicle I have been in I don't remember that ever being the case.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Coolant Leak?

Sounds like you have a heater core leak... Check the passenger side carpet up in the front foot well for wetness.

About your other issue, this may be caused by a door in the HVAC not sealing up all the way.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:02 AM
NIUzer0 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no wetness either visual or by touch. I even grazed over some of the moldings and got nothing. I thought I would at least get a faint smell of coolant on my fingers if I came across something.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:59 PM
gearjammer57 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree if your winshield is getting steamed up it almost always is heater core, As far as air coming from your dash vents if the selector switch is set to anything but the off posistion the blower will run, the speed is set by the fan control speed. and I believe the lowest setting is 1.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:25 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would check the intake manifold gaskets for leaks at the base of the intake, generally if they leak it can be obvious at the edges of the intake at the front and rear of the heads in the "valley area" between the heads. Also check your oil for any sign of coolant there. if not then the leaks will be on the outside crossover water passages for the intake, these are located at the front and rear of the intake.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:43 PM
ryanpip18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im having the same problem with all the same signs. When I accelerate my vents bolw air out of them even if their on and my window is fogging up with coolant smelling fog. What was alos weird is that it was blowing coolant smelling smoke out my dash cents off and on yesterday. If you find out what is wrong, please tell me.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:11 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

If an Intake manifold gasket is leaking coolant, then sometimes it evaporates on the block or y pipe of the exhaust, this is what happened to me and I smelled coolant smell all the time, then took it to a shop and found out it was the intake manifold gasket. Check for the signs as listed above and go from there. Otherwise, I would check the heater core for leaks as that also leads to fogging up the windshield.

-Lenny