2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

coolant odor/defrost

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 08:59 AM
hoffyinaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default coolant odor/defrost

Okay so here in Az we dont get to use our defroster much, but the other day I needed to and..........
Soi turned the right **** to defrost, the center **** to heatand when I turned the left **** to 4 what appeared to be smoke came out of all the dash vents facing forward not floor or windshield vents. I also now have a strong odor of coolant in cab. Also the heat could be felt at the vents below windshield but it didnt defrost my window at all, actually made it worse.
New radiator 7/06 its full, overflow is full. No leaks, temp is around 180. Heater hoses both feel warm.

I now dont use my defroster, but it stinks.
Any ideas???

Old 01-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: coolant odor/defrost

Sounds like you have a leaky heater core... Check the carpet on the passenger side right next to the transmission hump. I'm betting it will be wet.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:11 PM
getblazed00 is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like it to me...makes for a messy windshield after a while...i remember having to use an ice scraper on the inside of my old car on the way to work since i couldn't use the heat and my breath kept making the inside of the window freeze. Not a fun ride.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:19 PM

the floor isnt wet but i noticed water on bottom of dash in that area. so if it is a leaky heater core, is that radiator/heater core sealer ok to run? or should i not with a fairly new radiator?

Old 01-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Just replace the core. All of those sealers will only mask the problem anyway. Do you really want to run around Az with a known coolant leak? Korey

Old 01-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I can't recommend ever using the leak sealers. If you've ever had a heater core out and apart, you'll notice that the tubes are no where near as large as they are in the radiator.

If you don't have the $$$ to replace the core now, you could just remove the hoses from where they go into the firewall and connect the loose ends.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 AM

Sorry for delay, lost PC.
I connected the two hoses together at firewall and will address it later.
Got a bigger issue with her now.