2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Coolant Overflow After Shutoff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Starting Member
phxjosh is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant Overflow After Shutoff?

Over the last few days I have been losing a good chunk of my coolant every time I drive my truck. After I shut the truck off I can hear the coolant boiling up in my overflow and it dumps out the hose overflow down to the ground. I lose about half a gallon everytime I drive now so I am just running distilled water until I can get it fixed.

I never run over 190-210 when driving, most mornings my truck doesn't even get to full temp by the time I get to work.

I can't imagine it's related at all but I just replaced my fuel pump and filter last weekend.

What could be causing the overflow? Should I throw a new thermostat in since they're so cheap?

Last edited by phxjosh; 10-16-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Starting Member

I checked my coolant and it's a little brown, sort of rusty but I think the guy who owned it before me was running straight water. Should I flush the coolant system out with water?

Old 10-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Probably needs a coolant flush. It sound like it's overheating, despite what your gauge is telling you. It's a pretty common issue.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:57 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phxjosh
...Should I throw a new thermostat in since they're so cheap?
Yep, when you refill after the drain & flush.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Could be a faulty radiator cap, (venting at too low pressure) they're cheap too.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Starting Member

I am going to flush the coolant today and see if that helps, I am thinking it might just be clogged. I notice when I run the A/C or any fans now it automatically goes up to 210 dead center on my gauge but never any higher.

I never overheat while driving, I thought it seemed odd to only overflow once the truck has been off for 3-5 minutes.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Could be a faulty radiator cap, (venting at too low pressure) they're cheap too.
Thanks, I might as well replace that too since they're cheap.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Starting Member

So after replacing the radiator cap, thermostat, and flushing everything out I am still having the same issue, about 5 mins after I got to work today I looked out my office window and saw a puddle under my truck from the overflow. I lost maybe a quart of coolant/water today it wasn't as bad as normal.

Any ideas?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Bad water pump, plugged rad? The factory coolant has been known to have issues if it doesn't get flushed, or changed. Also bad news if you combine the green and orange coolants, they make a muddy sludge.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:31 PM
spittybays

The last cheap thing I can think of is take the tank off and make sure its not cracked.
I know you said it was from the overflow but with any luck it could just be following that line down.

Quick Reply: Coolant Overflow After Shutoff?