2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Coolant Sensor, Temp gauge, No Heat!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Beginning Member
MrRox is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant Sensor, Temp gauge, No Heat!

Hey guys, hope everyone had a great summer. I need a little help, once again. My temperature gauge stopped working, I have been told I need to have the Coolant Temp. Sensor replaced. I will do this. Would this affect the vehicle from not giving out heat? It gave decent heat last winter.

2000 2d 4wd 4.3L

Old 09-19-2009, 12:43 PM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

thermostat may need to be replaced too

Old 10-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member

I'm back and still puzzled. I have replaced the thermostat and radiator cap. Put in a new Coolant temp. sensor. My gauge works fine now. Still no heat. Could it be the heating core? Any help would be appreciated. Also had the radiator flushed.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:21 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you do a thorough flush of the coolant system including the heater core? If so, then the core may be bad. Do you have coolant smell in the cab, steaming on the windows, or a coolant leak onto the passenger side floorboard?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Beginning Member

No leaks, no smells and no steaming. I took it to my local repair shop. Should I just ask him if he did a thorough flush?

Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

That would be good to know.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Beginning Member
Default A Garden Hose?

First I would like to thank everyone for their replies.

Luckily the weather has been decent in the Northeast.

Now, my issue og no heat has been resolved. After changing the thermostat and thoroughly flushing the engine and radiator I still had no heat. I asked a mechanic at work if he could check everything out for me. He said he would try putting a garden hose to it. I had no clue what he meant. He said the heating core might be clogged. If I had to spend money on a heating core and the labor to get the job done it would have cost me more than I was willing to spend. He hooked up the garden hose and what do you know, it was clogged and i now have heat. Amazing! ! ! If I had taken it to a repair center they would have told me the core wasn't any good and got me for a few bucks. I threw the mechanic $40 and a 6pack of beer.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good! Thanks for the followup!

Old 12-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Beginning Member

First off let me wish everyone a Happy Holiday Season.

Yet another wrinkle in my Blazer.

2 issues: First is my windows fogging like there is no tomorrow. If you read my past posts you know I had an issue with my heater core that I had blown out which resolved my NO HEAT issue. Now my windows keep fogging up. I have read posts on this issue and I do believe I need to have the core replaced, a pretty expensive job in these tough times. I have no had any odors in the vehicle nor do I show any signs of a leak outside the vehicle or on the passenger side floor. Could it be something other than the core? It blows nice and hot and very strong.

2nd issue is the rear defogger. While it defogs just fine I have noticed when I turn it on the voltage indicator drops from 14 to 10 and lights get dim. What can be causing this?

Old 12-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

There is a service bulleten for this somewhere but you probly have a pin hole in you core. Just keep a eye on you collant if it gets low hole is probly getting worse.

As far as your rear defroster goes my guess would be a bad ground or switch.

Quick Reply: Coolant Sensor, Temp gauge, No Heat!