2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cranks but does not start, replaced ign switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Beginning Member
Boiler_81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cranks but does not start, replaced ign switch

I am working on my son's 99 Blazer which was having intermittent starting issues. Twice it did not start but after sitting over night it started right up. From reading these forums I decided to replace the ignition switch. When I tried to go through 30 minute relearn process the SECURITY light would not stay on after letting the key come back to the run position. The truck cranks but will not start. Where should I go from here?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

I don't know how to answer your question but i do know that i HATE doing learn/relearn/lock etc sequences. I usually wind up going to the dealer and saying "Here program this for me" cause i get frustrated. Hope you get it resolved.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Beginning Member

I tried it again last night. The SECURITY light will still not stay on during the relearn process. If no one has additional ideas, I guess I will have to flat bed it to a dealership.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Get a good nights sleep, & tackle it again - you have to follow the relearn procedure TO THE LETTER. Make sure you have the correct procedure for your year model, then get a watch & time every wait period to the minute.

If you have access to a Tech II, or any scanner that can read body codes, that will help you out bigtime.

Dealer is an absolute last resort for me. Some of them know what they;re doing, but seems every time I go they end up causing more problems than they fix. Last time my Silverado was in for warranty work, the lot tech smashed the thing up. Had to wait 3 days for what was supposed to be brake diagnosis .... and ended up being the repair of the entire side of the bed! Not only that dealer issue, but dealer work is big $$$$$ ....

I get so fired up about these systems - they drive me absolutely nuts! I think GM is deliberately trying to put itself out of business with all these failure prone systems. Supposed to deter theft, but it just ends up deterring future GM purchases & costing us more money we don't have. Ok I'm ranting now ...

Let us know how this turns out. Don't give in yet!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have followed the DIY relearn procedure and it didn't work, a force relearn using a Tech2 or equivalent full feature scan tool may be required.

As Smitty eluded to, getting the body codes read may indicate another problem and/or give you direction for diagnosis.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Beginning Member

I know I did the relearn correctly. Even though the light did not stay on I let the key sit in run for 11 minutes between cycles. I will be off the the auto parts store to rent a scanner today.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Scott

Old 10-29-2011, 04:45 PM
Beginning Member

Ran a scan today and got no DTCs. However, I am not sure the scanner did the security system. Will try another scanner tomorrow.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Beginning Member

I got another scanner today and found no codes. After running the scanner I tried to start the truck and it started. I cycled the key two more times and it started both times. I guess I will have my son drive ti to locations where if it does not start it will not be an issue stranding the truck.